OT: who makes the fastest small cruiser >

OT: who makes the fastest small cruiser

Notices

OT: who makes the fastest small cruiser

Old 02-02-2003, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah, the 26 is fast. The regal hull is interesting for sure. More of a big forward notch of some sort. Several of their bowriders around here. They are well-liked.

I'd still rather see him lean towards a little bigger.
I looked at the Rinker site and my buds boat is the 270 Fiesta Vee. 310 horse 454. Runs 35 with a filthy bottom.

I did go look at the Regla website at the 2660. Nice boat. Looks pricey (pricier than the rinker). Kind of stubby looking but nice. What I saw that still points me towards the cheaper (I think) Rinker is the rinker has a really cool U-lounge layout in the cockpit that makes for a great boat that still includes the driver in the conversation (the driver gets lost from the others when they sit farther away). I also noticed that the Regal has a ROUND hatch on the nose - this will not accomodate a carry-on A/C unit in case that matters to you.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:07 PM
Steve_H

Hmmmmm

Old 02-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Intolerant1

I really like the layout of the small Four Winns cruisers for the money. I think they are the Fiesta's. Alot of room in a small boat and I believe they come with full factory camper canvas.

Old 02-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

YEah, went and looked at the fourwinns website. The 268 looks great.

Still like the Rinker for the U-lounge next to the driver. It's the only one I've seen like this.
Attached Thumbnails OT: who makes the fastest small cruiser-rinker.jpg  

Last edited by mcollinstn; 02-02-2003 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stingray's 240CS will run 55-57 with 6.2 power. http://www.stingrayboats.com/product...hp?model=240CS
Old 02-03-2003, 08:20 AM
ursus

Regals 2660's are one of the fastest cruisers with the twin 4.3's 50+ honest gps mph , no tail wind and the best quality materials/construction throughout ( to bad they won't build this boat with twin small blocks) , Four winns are also pretty fast , the 298 will kiss 50 in perfect conditions with twin small blocks however you get wet a lot, their hulls make a lot of spray in even small chop, materials and construction are of good/adequate quality, I have no 1st had knowledge of the Rinkers.

For comparision a Formula 26 PC will run mid 40's with a mildly modified (450hp) single 502 big block, 5mph faster than twin 4.3s in the same boat and about 10mph faster than a 300hp Big block. The BB's sound much better to, the 4.3's sound like someone is down below makein a salad with twin food processors

The older hull designs have a lot more of a V nose rather than the faster more spoon shapped modern boats. This puts more hull in the water ( the reason they are slower) but the V nose cuts the waves and will run comfortably in chop that has the newer hulls plodding along off plane or makeing you think you shoulda named the boat bouncing Betty so it depends what you want.

Last edited by ursus; 02-03-2003 at 09:51 AM.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rinker builds a good, solid, no-frills boat. The Mrs and I have been looking at them very hard; I've never heard from a Rinker owner that wasn't happy with their boat. No, it's not built like a Cigarette, but it's not supposed to be, either.

That being said, if you're looking to run, Donzi made (makes?) a 27' and a 32' cruiser that are supposed to run like a raped ape. Of course, it'll suck gas like no tomorrow, which might be a downside. And I've heard less than stellar things about the quality of the Donzi cruiser lines, at least the older ones (and you indicated you're looking at used). Do a search on the forums over at www.boatus.com - they've got a lot of information from owners that have filed complaints with Boat US. I was looking at the both of the Donzi's, because they're fast and fairly rare, but the quality questions scared me away... but if you could find a good one, it might be just what you're looking for.

Here's the info from the Boat US complaint database:

o 1999 Donzi 3250 LXC (DNAM0005E899):
07/05/00 After aprox. 80 hrs use: moderate blister damages developed below waterline. Repairs estimated $864. Manufacturer won't help, although they asked owner to obtain estimates. They won't help because warranty excludes blisters. They say all boats should be barrier-coated if they're left in the water.

o 1997 Donzi 3250 LXC (DNAM0006D697); twin Mercruiser 7.4L 300hp Bravo III I/Os (s/nos OC004021 & OC004027):
03/11/99 Owner lists 36 different structural, electrical, hardware & plumbing problems have severely limited his use of boat: most items on list are not very serious, but there are extensive fresh water leaks into cabin that seem to be ruining all upholstery. Also, owner mentions hull structural repairs but does not go into detail. Most of the original 36 complaints were resolved, but 5 items remain uncorrected, owner says because of manufacturer's delays and because they haven’t paid local repair shops.

o 1999 Donzi 275 LXC (DNAM6011H899):
07/18/00 Boat's been in water for 5 months, bottom is badly blistered, also some hull cracks. Manufacturer wrote: blisters aren't warrantied, they won't help.

o 1998 Donzi 275 LXC (DNAM6025I798) (purchased used 2000):
07/05/00 5/00 noticed voids in gelcoat-fiberglass cloth was exposed on stbd side only, along chine at bow & strake at stern.

o 1999 Donzi 30 ZF:
01/10/00 Brought boat to dealer 10/99 to have cracks in transom inspected/repaired. Boat was brought to factory for repairs, then manufacturer said they would replace hull at a cost to owner of $10,000, later never followed through on promise to replace hull at no cost.

o 1997 Donzi 275 LXC (DNAM6021G697); Mercruiser 7.4L I/O w/ Bravo III (engine s/n OK 013665 & outdrive s/n OK101076):
06/18/98 Very poor quality control throughout boat. Major problem involves crack in companionway to cabin & headliner is badly installed (rippled & sloppy), cabin doors & cabinets open when boat is underway, DF works intermittently because transducer was installed incorrectly, holding tank discharge wasn't hooked up correctly & allowed sewage to leak into bilge, problem w/ fuel fill (must be the vent because tank fills very slowly), engine oil cooling line installed so it abraded against harmonic balancer & allowed oil to drain from engine. Boat was sent back to factory for repairs but came back in worse shape: damages caused at the factory & some original items not repaired. Owner says dealer has tried to help but Donzi's service has been terrible.

o 1997 Donzi 275 LXC cruiser (DNAM6005E697):
04/29/98 Shortly after taking delivery, owner discovered many problems w/ new boat, including crack at companionway step. He reported to dealer & was assured manufacturer would fix everything. Crack was the only item on list that was repaired and it came back soon after. Owner complained to manufacturer & waited 4 wks for manufacturer to pick up boat to be returned to factory as promised.

o 1997 Donzi ZF 34; twin Mercury 250hp Obs:
01/07/98 Many quality control problems w/ boat, most notably corrosion of wiring as a result of water leaks, moisture, etc. Engines cavitate & boat doesn't perform as anticipated, console is coming loose, transom & console are cracked. Fresh water system leaks, stbd powerhead was serviced at delivery (no one bothered to tell owner lower unit gears were backordered 6-8 wks). Boat shows considerable use as demo model. Very poor service, especially from manufacturer.

o 1995 Donzi 275 Medallion (DNAM6030A595):
10/25/95 Engine problems required engine to be replaced: dealer messed up on delivery & apparently had non-Merc mechanic (a live-aboard at the marina) do the installation. Also, major crack through deck & at 7 other locations (signs of prior repairs). Fresh water tank leaks into cabin Manufacturer agreed to send tech rep to make repairs, but wouldn't put offer in writing or provide guarantee, later offered to take boat back to factory for repair. Said deck cracks are cosmetic, aren't related to leaks into cabin.
Here's the link to this thread at Boat US: http://www.boatus-forum.com/ubb/Foru...ML/000505.html

Based on this info, it looks like they might have had some quality control problems in the mid-late 90's. I really like that 3250, but...

Good luck.

Last edited by dockrocker; 02-03-2003 at 08:35 AM.