Notices

Power inverters again ??

Old 02-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, the charger section of any inverter only works when you are plugged in to shore power or if you have a generator and it's running. You will not be able to run an AC off an inverter for any significant period of time. A dual system with a genset and an inverter is the best way to go, if you choose only one,better get used to a genset.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

You want to run the CHARGER on the INVERTER to charge your batteries WHILE you are using battery power to CHARGE the same batteries you are powering the CHARGER with ???

What you need is a Mr. Fusion home power appliance. Creates virtually limitless power from food wastes such as rotting banana peels and used coffee grounds. They are on backorder and expect to be available in the year 2344...
Old 02-10-2003, 10:30 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Low cost alternative
Attached Thumbnails Power inverters again ??-humangenerator.jpg  
Old 02-10-2003, 03:10 PM
bobby daniels

ANYone know were to get a genset for a boat at a good price 'its a small42 with air /
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Old 02-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

The Honda EU2000i is probably the world's best portable genset.

It is NOT CG approved. Cannot be run in an enclosed area, but is the smallest, lightest, quiestest thing on the planet. All for around $875.

As far as a true marine setup, best bet is to call the local Onan/Kohler shops and look for a factory refurb unit.

Any unit on the used market classifieds will probably have "issues" and even though I know you are mechanically accomplished, genset parts can be expensive.

Mechanically, you can handle any issue it may have (they are mostly OHV tractor motors). The Alternator itself is a big starter for the most part (newer ones may be brushless). You just got brearings and seals, commutators, and windings...

In the box, however, lots of ballast resistor blocks, contactors, and stuff that is very susceptible to corrosion (the main killer of the stuff in "the box").

I know a friend priced a complete install of an 8kw gasoline genset (that was prewired for it) in a boat and it was around $7900. That was all brand new with no special discounts.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:06 PM
bobby daniels

MCOLLINSTN tHANKS

Hey thank you for the tips this is greek to me !! Thanks for your time

Old 02-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inverters

Boot, I have a Xantrex Pro Watt series 3000. It provides 3000 watts continuous and 5000 watt surge. It comes with an remote on/off switch and has LED bar graph meter. It also has an auto low voltage shut-down to prevent battery damage. I do not remember my battery brand, but I searched the internet for batteries and found the highest amp hour batteries that I could put in my boat. I know they are close to or maybe over 200 amp hours per battery. My A/C only pulls 6 amps at startup and runs with less. I can run my A/C for about 4 to 5 hours without the unit shutting down. I love mine.
Go to www.xantrex.com and get one of there brochures. I bought my unit from D & B Marine for about 600 or 650 dollars. Hope this helps
Old 02-13-2003, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys .
Street, I was looking at that one . Does it have a charger built in ?