If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Donzi33ZX Gold Member BryanTuvell's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2003 Donzi 33ZX
    Suffolk, VA

Stereo amp question

Can someone explain to me what "bridgeable" means, I have a Sony Explode stereo that came stock in my Donzi (4 speaker set up), couple that with the Sony Explode XM-754SX, so I have 4 Sony speakers that do OK, I am going to buy a 8" sub (all I have room for, one sub not two) and wonder "specifically" how to wire the sub for max preformance on this particular amp? I have had no luck with specific details online, only specs....
    I want good medium level sound, we are not LOUDEST POSSIBLE SOUND nuts, we seek good mid level volume, good bass and little distortion....

The amp is

Thanks in advance.
    Oh, and the Sub is not bought yet, I will buy this weekend, I have all the major stores and some audio places available here in the Va Beach area, so brand, reviews and model numbers will help, not worried about the price.....

SO, help me with how to wire and what Subs you guys are using????
    And if you are an audio pro, email me your phone number I will call you this weekend.....
    Thanks guys.

Last edited by Bryan Tuvell; 02-13-2003 at 07:41 PM.
    2008 F350 SWD 4x4 6.3 PSD + Donzi 33ZX
    Performance on and off the water!!!!

Gold Member Gold Member liquid asset's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Wellcraft Gran Sport 3400
    Haslet, TX,USA
    Wire the left neg, and the right pos. it should be marked on the output on the amp

VIP Member Platinum Member wwwTOPDJcom's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1992 450hp Senza Spectre 25'
    Vestal/Binghamton NY
    Bridging means combining 2 link able channels of your amplifier to create a single more powerful channel, more often used to power sub woofer speakers.

I use this method on my pro audio subs for live perfomances

If price is not an issue, go with a nice 5 channel amp.

JL Audio has a 5 channel, i believe its 75 watts x 4 channels for your 6.5's and 200 for your sub.

JL would be your porshe, where sony would be your camaro.

Just my opinion.

My Boats:
    2000 Outerlimits
    Tampa, FL USA
    A JL amp will draw too much current for realistic boat applications. If you want efficient reliable power, use a Rockford Fosgate Power BD series amp. I have a few 500bd and 1000bd's that I will blow out next week when I get back from the boat show. The 500 will be around $330 and the 1000 will be a bit over $400. All brand new in the box with full manufacturer warranty.

The bd series is efficient at low and high volumes and makes quality reliable sound.

If only using mids and an 8 inch sub, it won't pull much power at all.

I think a 5 channel is the better way to go than with 2 amps (1 for mids another for the one sub)

That 500 and 1000 are 2 channel aren' they?

My Boats:
    30 Scarab Panther, 37 Active Thunder, 34 Wellcraft Gran Sport
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The Sony is fine for the application you intend. If you want serious power go with the fosgate, or JL audio. I prefer Alpine.

What you will want to do is run the amp in 3 channels.

1 channel bridged mono using the LPF crossover (low pass frequency=bass) to a 4ohm sub.

Next 2 channels you will run 2 4ohm 6x9 type, or 2 4ohm component style speakers. They will be using the HPF crossover (high pass frequency=mids and highs)

Place the mids and highs towards the front of the boat, the sound has has more realism in front of you. Sound is usually heard from in front of you. Music is suppose to encompass you, if you don't have 4 speakers placing 2 in front will sound better.

If you add another sub later down the road you can just paralell it off of the existing sub circuit. That amp is capable of running a 2ohm load. with no problems

Bryan Tuvell sounds like he wants to jam. It's really hard to get an idea of sound systems by reading these posts.

Talk to the fellas at an audio store and they will fix you right up. Just don't pay the full retail on the equipment. Most of them will go overboard with it, but if you have the cash, let them. It will be cool!

Good luck with your jams