Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/43402-poll-synthetic-engine-oil-no.html)

Hydrocruiser 08-04-2004 03:23 PM

Re: Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Originally Posted by Reckless32
mcollinstn you make my point. I believe all the yap about synthetic in the engines is misplaced as per my comments above. I think synthetic oil's real benefit to the powerboat community lies in the outdrive...

I agree in that the drive has been showing no metal on the magnets since Mobil-1 gearlube. Redline has a higher heat rating and is the highest rated so I am switching. As far as the engine Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin is the best with a 518*F Flashpoint and the highest HTPP numbers. Redline is equal and all the rest go down the list in performance capabilities with Amsoil being # 3 then RP 4th going by THEIR data.

The OIL FILTER is more important than the oil according to Bob's oil site. I use a Mobil-1 or baldwin filter or the Amsoil HD which is a Baldwin.

formuladude312 08-04-2004 08:06 PM

Mobil 1

Hydrocruiser 10-23-2004 06:07 PM

Most high performance conversion companies (now called tuners) use Redline. Mostly 10W-30 for cars up to 800 HP. I do think Redline from everything I read is the best stuff out there; especially in lower viscosities. I am going to say their 20W-50 is around near equal to Mobil-1 V-Twin.

If I wasn't using V-Twin my next consideration would be Redline.

Mobil-1 V-Twin has high ester content that prevents condensation dispersal and facilitates better burn-off easier.

Tricky919 10-23-2004 06:19 PM

Mobil 1

mwdill 10-23-2004 09:28 PM

amsoil in everything.

Steel Outlawed 10-24-2004 07:17 AM

Mobil 1 all the way.

Chatim Racing 10-26-2004 11:07 AM

My son and I were invloved in IMSA endurance auto racing in the 80's after I stopped racing offshore.

The only oil that lasted through a 24 hour race was synthetic. Many hours at redline and the engines were just fine.

In some of the GTO classes, Corvettes, Camaros, etc. the only way a rear end would live for the entire 24 hours was to use synthetics.

I still break my engines in with regular oil, but use synthetics after that. One word of caution if you have Harleys.....they have their own blend of synthetic and it works better for those engines than does Mobil 1 or some of the others.

Charlie Sr.

Blaster 10-26-2004 12:37 PM

I am sorry, prelube is a waste of money. my 2 cents

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Redline Race oil changed every 25 hours (14qts each motor).
Also run pre-lubers before each start.

Blaster 10-26-2004 12:37 PM

Amsoil is a rip off.

Originally Posted by mwdill
amsoil in everything.

mr_velocity 10-26-2004 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Blaster
I am sorry, prelube is a waste of money. my 2 cents

In a car that is run everyday maybe, not in an application where the motor sits for weeks at a time. Takes a long time to build pressure. The money, $150 vs $40,000 for a motor, not much of a waste. I also give them a light Marvel fogging if I know they will sit for more than a week.