Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shotgun Muffler Tips??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/45924-shotgun-muffler-tips.html)

R Addiction 03-23-2003 09:05 PM

Bad Girl, what condition are they in? I know dumb question?

KAAMA 03-23-2003 11:28 PM

Originally posted by 32storm
Kaama, in full open position, the shot-gun tips are not any quieter.
Thanks for your response. The reason why I'm asking is because The cheapest mufflers that come from Gaffrig Marine are a straight pipe (no bulges or bell shapes) muffler that has holes drilled in the bottom with a butterfly valve that opens by an electrical air operated switch. They resemble the Shotguns and have the same exact design only the Gaffrigs are a bit longer and have the little air cylinders that open the butterfly valves via a tiny air compressor. I asked Gaffrig about the sound levels it makes when the muffler valve is wide open and they said; "even with the valve all the way open the muffler itself still quiets the exhaust sound by 7db just by being on the end of the tailpipe." -----which is NOT the answer that I was looking for. Therefore I was hoping that the Shotguns weren't like the Gaffrig's units I have mentioned above. It may seem to be sounding a bit excentric about this but it is what I want. I will need to put a call into Drew Marine and find out still. :)

Mr. Demeanor 03-24-2003 12:15 AM

I have the shotguns and mine are half under water at idle. With the flapper closed and the exhaust exiting thru the bottom of the Shotgun, my exhaust is under water at idle. Sounds like I am through prop except a little more gurgle as the are closer to the surface.
You can also play with the flapper mechanism so they don't open or only open a little even at full throttle. I talked with the manufacturer who said that with a stock 454, there is enough exhaust exiting the holes underneath that you can run full throttle w/o water backing up in the exhaust. I closed em up once when I was taking some family for a ride. You have to get wet to do it but its a nice feature.

OBNOXUS21 03-24-2003 04:14 PM

FunHome and I spoke yesterday...............
I know I need two sets as does he !!!

Hustler 26 03-24-2003 05:19 PM

In New York the law requires you to run automatic mufflers. The Shotguns are legal in NY. The Teague mufflers and the Gaffrig units are not because the operator can turn them off or on. Mercury Silent Choice isn't even legal. You should check the laws where you live.
I use the Shotguns on my boat and love them. ;) ;) ;)

Waterfoul 03-24-2003 07:17 PM

If you ask Drew, he will tell you that the shotguns virtually eliminate any chance of reversion. They keep the pressure inside the tailpipe constant, not allowing for the rearward flow of water. I've been running them for years, and I don't even have internal flaps, but have never had a reversion issue.

'Foul