Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone ever own a Lotus? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/46363-anyone-ever-own-lotus.html)

SinkorSwim 03-28-2003 07:16 AM

Well,, I am definately moving on....

1 Attachment(s)
Found a yellow Corvette,,, that I am going to try and deal on for her. Trying to pull this off as an anniversary present for her.

jbrauer 03-28-2003 07:23 AM

The V8 Lotus Esprits, 1997 and newer, are reletively trouble-free if maintained properly. Here's my 1999. It is a great car.

One of the reasons I like it, is that it is totally unique. There were only 97 Esprits brought into the US for 1999. Everywhere you go it attracts a group of interested people asking what is it and how fast will it go (180 mph). Not too difrerent from a fast boat! :cool:

jbrauer 03-28-2003 07:25 AM

One more.

jafo 03-28-2003 07:29 AM

I had a '73 Lotus Europa for a short while in high school. It was a blast to drive- very well balanced. It was a small car though- you didn't drive it, you wore it.

The Prince of Darkness visited this car one evening and it burned to the ground.

Sydwayz 03-28-2003 07:33 AM

Jafo... electrical by chance?

C_Spray 03-28-2003 08:32 AM

Another cheap shot at the English: They don't make computers 'cause they can't figure out how to make 'em leak oil...

That being said, here's an alternative to the Lotus: For low-to-mid $30,000's you can get a used Acura NSX. Pretty rare car, exotic looks, 25/28 mpg, 13.6 quarter-mile, 165 mph, easy to drive, and Honda Accord reliability. I bought one new in 1991, and won't part with it for all the tea in China. Awesome, awesome car....

jafo 03-28-2003 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Sydwayz
Jafo... electrical by chance?
But of course........I have a Triumph TR6 in my shop too.... 25 + years later and I haven't learned a damn thing.:rolleyes:

puder 03-28-2003 09:31 AM

i must say i have heard better thigns about the newer lotuses. And yes they are pretty rare. I will give them that.

Brad Zastrow 03-28-2003 11:06 AM

A good friend of mine owns a Lotus turbo V8. Beautiful car, fast, and small interior. I like it. I own a Dodge Viper that will out run it and I think the styling is better. I have really soured to his car after all the problems he is having. The car lives at the dealer more than at his home. All computer related. I mean really serious, expensive to fix, tow-truck stuff. Fixed and drove it 4 blocks from the dealer and towed again. He down plays it "as it is an exotic car". What a load of crap. A Viper or a Corvette will run as fast and with a lot less hassle. I walked out a Ferrari dealer after hearing you need to change the timing belts every few years or 25,000 miles whichever comes first. $5,000 to drop the engine/transaxle to change the belt. HUH? I will stick to simple cars thank you very much.

cobra marty 03-28-2003 12:36 PM

This sounds like a good topic for a poll. What 2 seat sports car would you buy, used in the under $40,000? Corvette, Lotus, NSX, Boxster, 911, Z3, ?others.