Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat >

24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat

Notices

24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat

Old 04-21-2004, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, that is correct...and as Audio has mentioned, 'ol #666 had a checkered past, it did sink at least once before it burned in the fire.

... and I can not even count how many motors I had exploded while I owned "Hells Bananna"

I truly believe that boat was haunted!

Kurt
Old 04-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 24 cigarette

Current pics with new paint and stripes
Attached Thumbnails 24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat-fla%5B1%5D.4-04-007.jpg  
Old 04-25-2004, 09:57 AM
JGB
Registered

what year is that whirlwind? Is the fairing or windshield a v in shape or is it straight accross? Cool boat!

Jim
Old 04-26-2004, 12:34 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oldest Excalibur I've heard off was '75 I think. I had a '76. Loved the hull design, but it was built like a jet boat - light - had to just about rebuild the whole bottom/stringers/bulkheads to run it in the Chesapeake Bay. Later model years I've seen looked much stronger.

Excalibur built the 24 till around 79 when Wellcraft bought them. Wellcraft used thier 27' foot hull, but the 24 went to Monza for a couple years, then Python used it 80's - 90's . All had the same hull, with monza making only a small change to deck, and Python using major changes to the deck.

At offshore races in '98 at Ocean city MD, I saw a raceboat with the same exact hull and EXACT deck as the excalibur, no mistake, and the owner said it was a brand new '97 boat - company name was just 3 letters - can't recall 'em though.

They all had one thing that made them different than the other 24'ers with 7' beams (like Superboat), and that was the flat pad on the Keel. It was about 4" wide at the transom and ended with a point about 10' forward. They tended to run on this pad, lifting off the outside strakes above 75 mph but staying quite stable. With a bravo drive about 2.5 inches higher than stock it was a pretty fast hull.

Also the 7' beam rode a bit softer than the wider hulls - better aspect ratio for cuttin' the waves.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:33 AM
Registered

Default Hang Time 27

Was the three letters BRT?
Old 04-27-2004, 09:18 AM
JGB
Registered

I didn't know BRT was still building them in '97. That was my favorite 24. If I remember correctly the BRT fairing was more like the topgun fairing. Looked very cool on the 24 but kinda made for a small cockpit. One used to race back in the day by the name of "snakebite" or snake eyes. They also tooled a 27 0r 28 that resembled the signature. I thought those BRT's were very cool but I guess they never gained traction nationally. Anyone know what ever happened to them?They BRT line held true to the classic "old school" offshore look.

Jim
Old 04-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Airdog,

I don't think it was BRT, cause there was one in my area at the time - only had room for three man bolster and the thing was all bow!.

This boats deck and hull was exactly like the excalibur, in every detail - rounded wind fairing etc. I owned my excalibur at the time, and I swore that's what it was, but he floored me when he said it was new. He had a 468 with bravo on extension box - but was running same speed I was without a box. Seemed to be built well - nice large stringers, etc.

Here's a shot of my boat with rounded wind fairing area, and custom dash additions.
Attached Thumbnails 24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat-excalibur-dash.jpg  
Old 04-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Here's another shot with my wife lecturing my son to keep the drive in and the tabs down when he out by himself.............

The boat in OC had these exact lines on the wind fairing - so does the monza as a matter of fact, only it had a rib sticking up down the center of the bow kinda like a 28 Cig.
Attached Thumbnails 24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat-excalibur-kyle-mom.jpg  
Old 04-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

nother shot:
Attached Thumbnails 24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat-excalibur-engine-bay.jpg  
Old 04-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

nother.....
Attached Thumbnails 24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat-excalibur.jpg  

Quick Reply: 24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.