Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Donzi Barrell Roll?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/50538-donzi-barrell-roll.html)

SLINGSHOT 06-01-2003 01:00 PM

Originally posted by audacity
i hope i will know this week!
some new evidence will be found? maybe worms were in the skeg?

Pete B 06-01-2003 02:08 PM

I beleive it was the course, big left hand turn, two days after lunar eclipse, out going tide, on a sunday, in marathon.

had it been right hand turn two days before solar eclipse, incoming tide,saturday morning, in lake michigan it would have never happened.

Sydwayz 06-01-2003 07:07 PM

My theory:

If you were turning to Port, and broke the Port skeg, I could see this breaking and causing the spin, as the most side force was being applied to the Port skeg, given boat lean in corners, and the SB skeg, was some what lifted, in 'thinner' water. In other words, in a to-Port turn, the boat is relying on the Port skeg moreso, (twin application).

If you were turning to Port, and broke the SB skeg, I would have to say the the spin was caused by the boat coming loose first, and as the boat settled back into the water, the SB skeg would have 'slapped' the water with great force, causing it to snap, (even as far up as in the thin part of the bullet case). Even when the boat settled back into the water after a to-Port spin, nevermind which way the boat may have been leaning as the transom re-entered the water, more force would be applied to the SB skeg. The SB skeg is hanging out farther in a to-Port spin, and the water would have been 'softened' for the Port skeg's re-entry, by either the transom/hull, or the (then breaking) SB skeg.

Exact opposite if the spin was done while turning toward SB.

Does my thinking make sense?

Pete B 06-02-2003 12:23 PM

Too Old,
Have the NOAA been in the savannah area to ensure we dont have the invasion of the Skeg snatcher's part II. Hopefully aliens will confuse skeg with skags, and remove them instead.

audacity 06-02-2003 12:26 PM

pete,,,is your boat ready to go for savannah or what!!??

Pete B 06-02-2003 01:03 PM

Yes joey,
The weekend was great thanks for asking, i am 99.9 % sure we will be there ready to rock the house. Im sure that Bobby and Chris are both want to get some points and get back to racing.
and hopefully some luck that checkered flag will be ours!! :)

audacity 06-02-2003 01:05 PM

there's always hope!

Pete B 06-02-2003 01:10 PM

yes there is !!! and luck as well

audacity 06-02-2003 01:13 PM

i view luck as; when opportunity and preparation meet!

look forward to seeing you guys back!! savannah will be fun as hell..ONE GREAT VENUE!

Pete B 06-02-2003 02:05 PM

that about sums it up.