Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Donzi Barrell Roll?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/50538-donzi-barrell-roll.html)

waterspeed 05-21-2003 09:22 AM

Donzi Barrell Roll??

Did anyone else hear that the Donzi that was in Powerboat Magazine Barrell Rolled???

Tantrum 05-21-2003 09:30 AM

????

dockrocker 05-21-2003 09:33 AM

Where, exactly, did you hear this rumor? Seems like there's a fair amount of FUD that gets spread around these forums where AT is concerned....

Jeff (JASSMAN) posted as recently as yesterday, so I imagine we should hear something one way or the other...

Sydwayz 05-21-2003 09:36 AM

Actual boat in question was the JBS Donzi 38ZRC race boat; NOT an Active Thunder!

waterspeed 05-21-2003 09:38 AM

A friend said they saw it on a news wire?? Not sure which boat it was....I am not saying that it was Jeff's boat...or that he was involved...In fact it may have been a dealer demo?? Maybe a new boat?? It is only a question, not a statement....

waterspeed 05-21-2003 09:39 AM

Hopefully, if a boat, (of any type) rolled, everyone is OK!

MassiveThunder 05-21-2003 09:53 AM

due to the fact that there are no active dealers at this time,it was not a dealer boat.the boat that was in powerboat was jeff's boat.i havent heard anything like that as of yet.
more than likely it was some drunk idiot that does not know how to drive.

Ron P 05-21-2003 09:58 AM

And Audacity's Donzi spun out and ripped the drives off in Marathon.

ActiveThunderTodd 05-21-2003 10:01 AM

I looked up local (to Jeff) newspaper info and found nothing. Have to wait and get confirmation or denial on this i guess.

dockrocker 05-21-2003 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Ron P
And Audacity's Donzi spun out and ripped the drives off in Marathon.
That's impossible, because everybody knows that audacity's Donzi can turn harder than any other boat ever built. Damn thing corners like it has velcro on the bottom! ;)

HiPerf2000 05-21-2003 10:08 AM

Originally posted by dockrocker
That's impossible, because everybody knows that audacity's Donzi can turn harder than any other boat ever built. Damn thing corners like it has velcro on the bottom! ;)
:p :p

Sydwayz 05-21-2003 10:11 AM

Originally posted by dockrocker
Damn thing corners like it has velcro on the bottom! ;)
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

waterspeed 05-21-2003 10:15 AM

It might have have been from one of the races last weekend, funny thing how a spin-out turns into a rollover then a sunken boat...etc...Sounds like a false alarm...

thunderdan 05-21-2003 10:16 AM

Re: Active Thunder Barrell Roll??

Originally posted by waterspeed
Did anyone else hear that the Active Thunder that was in Powerboat Magazine Barrell Rolled???
I would love to know where you get your information. I talked with Jeff and he has not been in his boat since the Tic Faw run where his boat ran like clock work.

:confused:

thunderdan 05-21-2003 10:19 AM

You did make me very nervous because Jeff is a close friend. He is out of town today and I can assure you he is fine.

Sydwayz 05-21-2003 10:28 AM

Ok, so the answer is

NEGATIVE, NO WAY, NEVER HAPPENED, THIS BOAT DID NOT ROLL, FLIP, SNEEZE, SPIN, or ANYTHING, EVER.

Heck, I would even venture to day, it has never even leaned over.

:D :D

dockrocker 05-21-2003 10:32 AM

And hence the ;) in my original post... a bit of *wink wink, nudge nudge*, know what I mean...

ActiveThunderTodd 05-21-2003 10:32 AM

Sounds like AT put this info out there just to get more publicity for Active Thunders....those underhanded AT people....what will they think of next.... :D ;) :p

Sydwayz 05-21-2003 10:35 AM

I do have announcement. The Active Thunder website has flipped rolled, and sank. :D Not working at this time.

Originally posted by MassiveThunder
due to the fact that there are no active dealers at this time,it was not a dealer boat.
There are actually 2 Active Thunder dealers that I am positive of at this time.

MassiveThunder 05-21-2003 10:51 AM

when i said "active dealers"i should have said dealers that actually have inventory.they are still selling factory direct at this time.
i have been a special order dealer since 98.

Chris288 05-21-2003 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Too Old
I don't think any of us doubt that Mike.

It's just a little humorous after listening to weeks of chest pounding about offshore prowess of a certain racer and how his boat will out corner anything known to man.

Since no one was injured, I think a good chuckle is in order.:D

chest pounding ?? Is that official offshore racing terminology ?? :D :D ;) ;) :p :p

looks like someone had foot in the mouth disease ....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sydwayz 05-21-2003 11:00 AM

Gotcha MT. :D

OldSchool 05-21-2003 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Too Old
I don't think any of us doubt that Mike.

It's just a little humorous after listening to weeks of chest pounding about offshore prowess of a certain racer and how his boat will out corner anything known to man.

Since no one was injured, I think a good chuckle is in order.:D

:p :p :p

audacity 05-21-2003 11:20 AM

please get your facts in order...we tore the skeg right off the case on the starboard drive. THIS caused the boat to spin and then ripping both drives off....i NEVER stated "how his boat will out corner anything known to man"....please have the facts...

fact is we learned a lot this weekend...we know the hull design and set-up exceeds the capabilities of the drives. this is staying with in the APBA rules for x-dimension, drives, and weight requirements.

another fact...let's play racing and 57 boat really had a great race! congrats to both teams!...let's play NEVER looked better....all this should make for a great season of racing!

Sean 05-21-2003 11:29 AM

how did you tear a skeg off a drive???

did you hit something???

HiPerf2000 05-21-2003 11:36 AM

how could you determine when the skeg actually broke off???

couldn't it have broke as a result of the drives tearing off???

audacity 05-21-2003 11:37 AM

nope, NOTHING hit.....the drive was designed to run with higher x's and still have skeg in the water for control...the APBA is making the 525's run the sportmaster lower to slow it down some plus add 600lbs...and it does just that....no big deal...it's all just part of racing.

audacity 05-21-2003 11:41 AM

aside form this is what Q (crew chief) and i do for a living....

2 force member....if the drive was off already how could the skeg then bust off?...it could not have...i'll post the pics,,,it's very clear when you see the pixs and the video...

Shane 05-21-2003 12:09 PM

How are you able to determine which came first or which is a result of which?

SLINGSHOT 05-21-2003 12:16 PM

couldnt they have broke at the same time......what a humbling incident:)......was under the impression that the sportmaster was for boats that exceed 90 mph, cat or step bottom v...

audacity 05-21-2003 12:22 PM

...again...it is a 2 fore member.

yes the SM lower is for boats that can benefit from a higher x and you still an extra 2" of skeg in the water for control. they are to gain...we are using them for a loss (speed that is).

Quiet Storm 05-21-2003 12:33 PM

maybe all the people here that have the answers should get with some F2 and SV teams...hell,,,it sounds so easy,,,,maybe you could have a sonic kicking our ass by then???

I'll bet a Sonic could kick your ass with a broken skeg. Even if I was driving it.

audacity 05-21-2003 12:49 PM

crashing is part of racing...why would it be a "humbling incident"....chances are this is not going to be the only time we bust some stuff up.

the new sonic will be ready for savannah....looking forward to seeing what they can do with and wish them all the best....this time around they are building it with RACING in mind...i guess we should just let the results speak for themselves...

Shane 05-21-2003 01:01 PM

How is it possible to determine which happened first? Or what caused what?

mr_velocity 05-21-2003 01:11 PM

Normally the skeg breaks as the result of the spin. We broke the skeg off a #6 when we spun then ultimately flipped our cat in Key West. Not saying that is what happened to audacity, but this was the information that was give to me after the accident because the first words out of my mouth were "the skeg broke that is why we spun, it wasn't MY driving."

OldSchool 05-21-2003 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Shane
How is it possible to determine which happened first? Or what caused what?

Because.....maybe some people need to read Shane's signature at the bottom of his posts!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Shane 05-21-2003 01:18 PM

Originally posted by mr_velocity
Normally the skeg breaks as the result of the spin. We broke the skeg off a #6 when we spun then ultimately flipped our cat in Key West. Not saying that is what happened to audacity, but this was the information that was give to me after the accident because the first words out of my mouth were "the skeg broke that is why we spun, it wasn't MY driving."
It is my understanding that unless otherwise struck by an outside object, a broken skeg in this type of scenario is more often than not a function of a spin not the other way around.

audacity 05-21-2003 01:18 PM

how about this...if the drive/gimbal broke first?...how could the skeg then bust off with out anything to apply force against??? also NOT making cantact with ANYTHING after that?

Shane 05-21-2003 01:19 PM

Originally posted by craig223
Because.....maybe some people need to read Shane's signature at the bottom of his posts!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Ain't that the TRUTH!

Sydwayz 05-21-2003 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Quiet Storm
I'll bet a Sonic could kick your ass with a broken skeg. Even if I was driving it.

DOH!! :eek: :eek: :p :p

Originally posted by Troutly
But did it porpoise :eek: :D
LMFAO Troutly!!!!! :D :D :D :D