Notices

Mercury Outboard Help...?

Old 05-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Mercury Outboard Help...?

Just purchased a pontoon with a lil' 40 hp Merc. 1990- Wondering if any of the Outboard Guys on here have a good source for repair info. on one of these. Any helpful sites, manuals, etc.??? I know it needs a stator for the charging system and a tune-up, any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-29-2003, 09:59 PM
Too slow

check out www.screamandfly.com

Old 05-30-2003, 09:03 PM
riskybusiness

RS:

I'm not as familiar with acquiring parts online for your OB, I'm sure there are sources. As Slow said, hit screamandfly.com.

Personally, I'd get a good ol' printed manual (and new stator, if really necessary) from a dealer.

If you're doin' the work yourself, on a workbench (or whatever), it's nice to have the paper manual as a reference (a medium which tolerates the grease, and whatnot) as easy access.

Who told you it needed a stator (although that is the likely cause of a charging problem)?

Old 05-31-2003, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Doubt it needs a charging stator. Most likely just a rectifier. Those buddies will blow anytime you disconnect the battery while the motor is running unless there is a decent 12v load at the time (a short or bad battery connection can also blow the rectifier).

Your local boat store will have a clymer manual for your motor. Fairly rugged little motor.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:23 AM
riskybusiness

Clymer will do (better than nothin').....But if you wan the real deal, get a factory manual from your local dealer.

Old 05-31-2003, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we are also a mercury outboard service center.i can give you the oso discount on parts,chris
Old 05-31-2003, 08:14 AM
Registered

Default THanks

Thanks for the feedback. The former owners had a "mechanic" all lined up to do do $900 worth of repairs. I found out he was going top replace the stator for that amount. I had the price knocked down and bought the boat "as is", hoping I could get it fixed cheaper or do it myself. I found a SELOC manual on E-Bay for these, anybody ever heard of those??? I'll dig a little deeper (into the rectifier)before I go out and get a stator-all my local dealers say this size and year motor have a pretty good failure rate for stators(?) Thanks Again!!!
Old 05-31-2003, 08:28 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey RSCHAP1,
I got one of those SELOC manuels for a present, I use it to do work on my Merc 200's. It's a pretty good source of info. Good luck on your project!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2003, 08:40 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rectifier usually goes first usually after someone had connected the battery backwards. most manuals will give good test procedures for all but the ignition switchbox and coils.Overtons or west marine have the rectifiers at a reasonable cost, not orig. merc though. good luck.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:54 AM
Registered

Thanks once again-alot further along already than what I was-THANKS