Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   A question about prop rotation on twin engine setups? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/54498-question-about-prop-rotation-twin-engine-setups.html)

THRILLSEEKER 07-15-2003 01:39 PM

A question about prop rotation on twin engine setups?

I have been wondering for a long time, with counter rotating props on twin setups, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the props turning in, or out:confused:

Scooter 07-15-2003 01:48 PM

if they turn in it will give more stern lift, If they turn out more bow lift, turning in is are to dock sometimes less control

Shane 07-15-2003 02:07 PM

Much MUCH safer spinning OUT! Uh, where's T2x? He should be able to elaborate a little.:) You have the scenario backwards. Spinning in lifts the bow, out lifts the stern.

mr_velocity 07-15-2003 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Scooter
if they turn in it will give more stern lift, If they turn out more bow lift, turning in is are to dock sometimes less control
I think you have that backwards. Turning in will lift the bow, turning out will lift the stern.

On my Velocity I spin them in all the time, sorry T2x. However on the race boat it depended on the water conditions.

JaayTeee 07-15-2003 02:33 PM

Out, stern lift
In, bow lift.
Docking manueverability is
poor when turning in,
( whichever one is in reverse,
doesn't seem to pull )

my .02
jt

THRILLSEEKER 07-15-2003 02:40 PM

OK, now I know why I cant dock worth a sh!t:rolleyes:
:eureka: I need to print this thread and take it to the marina where I hang out and show the dock boys....:crazy:

what would you guys reccomend on a 5k+ pound v hull with 21p 3 blade cleavers? in or out?? they are turning in right now and it seems to carry the bow very well, but docks sh!tty, could I gain anything besides docking ability by switching?? maybe planning easier:confused:

Just to clarify, props turning in, is starboard spinning clockwise and port spinning counterclockwise when in foreward gear.......or is it the opposite?

Shane 07-15-2003 03:04 PM

Originally posted by THRILLSEEKER
OK, now I know why I cant dock worth a sh!t:rolleyes:
:eureka: I need to print this thread and take it to the marina where I hang out and show the dock boys....:crazy:

what would you guys reccomend on a 5k+ pound v hull with 21p 3 blade cleavers? in or out?? they are turning in right now and it seems to carry the bow very well, but docks sh!tty, could I gain anything besides docking ability by switching?? maybe planning easier:confused:

Just to clarify, props turning in, is starboard spinning clockwise and port spinning counterclockwise when in foreward gear.......or is it the opposite?

When looking at the boat from the transom, the starboard prop should spin CLOCKWISE and the port COUNTERCLOCKWISE! You are correct.

mr_velocity 07-15-2003 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Shane
When looking at the boat from the transom, the starboard prop should spin CLOCKWISE and the port COUNTERCLOCKWISE! You are correct.
Isn't that props turning out?

Zanie 07-15-2003 03:13 PM

Originally posted by mr_velocity
Isn't that props turning out?
Yep.
It's what the TOP of the propeller is doing.

birdog 07-15-2003 03:17 PM

That would be.....turning out....The TOP of the blades would turn inward to be turning in !!C,mon guys !!:D
I am about to try mine "IN"...I will be very suprised if this big heavy hull gets to loose !! I have been told i will need to dock like a single engine boat though....Hope to find out Wed. night..I will post what i find