Like Tree0Likes

A question about prop rotation on twin engine setups?

Reply
Old 07-15-2003, 02:39 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,215
Question A question about prop rotation on twin engine setups?

I have been wondering for a long time, with counter rotating props on twin setups, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the props turning in, or out
THRILLSEEKER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:48 PM
  #2
lifes a bore from shore
Platinum Member
 
Scooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 523
Default

if they turn in it will give more stern lift, If they turn out more bow lift, turning in is are to dock sometimes less control
Scooter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:07 PM
  #3
Registered
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Niskayuna, NY
My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292
Posts: 5,543
Default

Much MUCH safer spinning OUT! Uh, where's T2x? He should be able to elaborate a little. You have the scenario backwards. Spinning in lifts the bow, out lifts the stern.

Last edited by Shane; 07-15-2003 at 03:22 PM.
Shane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:20 PM
  #4
Registered
 
mr_velocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,084
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter
if they turn in it will give more stern lift, If they turn out more bow lift, turning in is are to dock sometimes less control
I think you have that backwards. Turning in will lift the bow, turning out will lift the stern.

On my Velocity I spin them in all the time, sorry T2x. However on the race boat it depended on the water conditions.
mr_velocity is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:33 PM
  #5
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ankeny,ia.
Posts: 3,449
Default

Out, stern lift
In, bow lift.
Docking manueverability is
poor when turning in,
( whichever one is in reverse,
doesn't seem to pull )

my .02
jt
JaayTeee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:40 PM
  #6
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,215
Default

OK, now I know why I cant dock worth a sh!t
I need to print this thread and take it to the marina where I hang out and show the dock boys....

what would you guys reccomend on a 5k+ pound v hull with 21p 3 blade cleavers? in or out?? they are turning in right now and it seems to carry the bow very well, but docks sh!tty, could I gain anything besides docking ability by switching?? maybe planning easier

Just to clarify, props turning in, is starboard spinning clockwise and port spinning counterclockwise when in foreward gear.......or is it the opposite?

Last edited by THRILLSEEKER; 07-15-2003 at 03:54 PM.
THRILLSEEKER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:04 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Niskayuna, NY
My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292
Posts: 5,543
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by THRILLSEEKER
OK, now I know why I cant dock worth a sh!t
I need to print this thread and take it to the marina where I hang out and show the dock boys....

what would you guys reccomend on a 5k+ pound v hull with 21p 3 blade cleavers? in or out?? they are turning in right now and it seems to carry the bow very well, but docks sh!tty, could I gain anything besides docking ability by switching?? maybe planning easier

Just to clarify, props turning in, is starboard spinning clockwise and port spinning counterclockwise when in foreward gear.......or is it the opposite?
When looking at the boat from the transom, the starboard prop should spin CLOCKWISE and the port COUNTERCLOCKWISE! You are correct.
Shane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:09 PM
  #8
Registered
 
mr_velocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,084
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Shane
When looking at the boat from the transom, the starboard prop should spin CLOCKWISE and the port COUNTERCLOCKWISE! You are correct.
Isn't that props turning out?
mr_velocity is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:13 PM
  #9
Registered
 
Zanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lombard, Il
My Boats: 1984 Excalibur 31'
Posts: 649
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_velocity
Isn't that props turning out?
Yep.
It's what the TOP of the propeller is doing.
Zanie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:17 PM
  #10
Registered
 
birdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Batavia Oh.
My Boats: Top Gun
Posts: 4,034
Default

That would be.....turning out....The TOP of the blades would turn inward to be turning in !!C,mon guys !!
I am about to try mine "IN"...I will be very suprised if this big heavy hull gets to loose !! I have been told i will need to dock like a single engine boat though....Hope to find out Wed. night..I will post what i find
birdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
B one
General Boating Discussion
12
08-18-2007 08:11 AM
prostock85
Prop Talk
3
01-12-2007 07:09 PM
Enforcer30
General Q & A
2
03-24-2005 11:37 AM
JimmyBaja
General Q & A
13
10-30-2004 08:18 AM
puder
General Q & A
4
04-25-2003 09:40 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.