Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2005 c6 corvette? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/63441-2005-c6-corvette.html)

robyw1 11-11-2003 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Indy
the Corvette smokes most of them anyway (Viper too).

Where on earth did you see a Vette smoke a Viper? I don't think so. We smoked a C5 Z06 in a new 2003 Viper and it was not at all hard to do. We could have really put the hurt on the Vette bad except this Viper had 477 miles and didn't want to work the engine before proper break in. Again beating the Z06 was very easy work in the Viper and is just a downright cakewalk in an 800HP Supra. The Corvette is not yet considered a fast car in my book. Hopefully the next C6 will be.

Roby

Indy 11-11-2003 09:38 AM

robyw1 - you misread my statemtent or I just wasn't clear enough, my point was that C5s and Vipers aren't mid engine cars and they do pretty well against the competition.

If the Corvette is not a fast car in your book, you're a hard man to please. It suits me just fine for what I paid for it and it runs better than most.

robyw1 11-11-2003 10:07 AM

I apologize; I did indeed misread his statement. I thought that he meant the Corvette would beat the Viper too. I read about 11 car magazines a month; yes I'm a hard man to please. I have always wanted to see the Corvette be a world-class performer because I love the fact that it is an American car. But they always seem to find a way to make the car a weak performer. That pisses me off because as soon as your 3 major car magazines get a hold of it they will trash it. If you have been reading them for the past 10 years you know what I'm talking about. You can say that the Corvette is a fast car if you want but when you have cars like the Ford Mustang Cobra, the Z28-SS the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO able to keep pace with it, What does that say for it's performance? I must give it up for Dodge though. They have created a 500HP V-10 Sports car, which is a convertible no less. Like you all have never dreamed of putting the largest engine in a small speedy car. It has received nothing but kudos from the motor press. They have raved about the V-10, best brakes of any car in history, and awesome handling. Well? I want the same for the Corvette. I want the world to understand the America makes the best performing cars ever. Is that asking too much from the greatest country in the world?

Another successful Dodge project is the new Neon SRT/4 They went after the import rice crowd and won them over with a 13.5 second car for less than $20K. The new Dodge Ram SRT-10 soon to be released will go after Fords Lightening.

Trout, The Viper wasn't mine but belongs to a close friend. We were just cruising the streets. It cost about $76K but is available to whoever wants to fork over the money. I say that for that price it is even more bang for the buck than the Corvette. Should the Corvette get at least 500-HP for 2005 with it’s new C6 design then it will be among of not the greatest sports cars ever.

Roby

Indy 11-11-2003 10:22 AM

Originally posted by robyw1
Well? I want the same for the Corvette. I want the world to understand the America makes the best performing cars ever. Is that asking too much from the greatest country in the world?
Roby

I understand what you're saying, but...I think the C5 is a more well rounded car than the above examples. It runs good in a straight line, and on the track. It also looks nicer (subjective) and is a very comfortable car to spend some time in. You can have the Lancer or whatever it is, I don't even know what it looks like, which shows how prominent it is in the car industry.

As far as your above statement, there is a simple reason Chevy doesn't make it the greatest car in the world...affordability. Chevy is in this to make a profit and sell cars. Again, for what it costs, it's a great car and will keep pace with those that are twice the price tag.

Don't misread me as a Corvette freak, I have a C5, but could basically care less about the Corvette "legend" or history. I never thought they were that great of a car until they developed the C5. It's a great, affordable, quick, comfortable car that can double as a daily driver...I think Chevy achieved it's objective.

Sydwayz 11-11-2003 10:49 AM

The rumors are more and more becoming closer to reality about a 400 cubic inch Super Vette. I would expect it in 2006.

mr_velocity 11-11-2003 11:33 AM

Originally posted by robyw1
Where on earth did you see a Vette smoke a Viper? I don't think so. We smoked a C5 Z06 in a new 2003 Viper and it was not at all hard to do. We could have really put the hurt on the Vette bad except this Viper had 477 miles and didn't want to work the engine before proper break in. Again beating the Z06 was very easy work in the Viper and is just a downright cakewalk in an 800HP Supra. The Corvette is not yet considered a fast car in my book. Hopefully the next C6 will be.

Roby

If someone has a site I can drop the video on I will show you a Z06 smoke a Viper at Englishtown NJ. The Vette ran 11.8 while the Viper ran 12.4 The Vette is 100% stock.

The wmv file is 3.8 meg.

robyw1 11-11-2003 11:38 AM

I really thought that Chevrolet was on to something with the ZR1 back in 1989. I thought: "Finally a 4-cam 32 valve for now on" I know the first production engines had lubrication problems but I wished they would have improved on it instead of going back to the pushrod motor. That is only one example of the little things that turned me off about the Corvette. I saw where that engine was used in a Baja 223 Bandit called Wet Vette. That was one of my favorite boats off all time. Not just the engine but I also liked the shape of the 223 Bandit. They are hard to find though.

Roby

BigMike 11-11-2003 11:51 AM

I was all set to buy a 2003 Vette last year until I test drove one. They are fast, handle well, accelerate like a scalded monkey, and are a tremendous value for the dollar. I just couldn't get past the cheap interior plastics and the leather felt like plastic. I used to have a 1992 Toyota Tercel that I paid $7000 for that had better quality interior materials. I have noticed that Chevrolet is upgrading some of its interiors but that cheap thin plastic shizit is a turn off for a $50,000 car. I ended up buying a Lexus GS. If Chevrolet would get rid of some of the plastic, the car may not have as many rattles in a few years. I will probably get bashed for this but it's what I found.

Mike

BAJA WILL 11-11-2003 01:35 PM

Look at that orange:eek: Vette GLH posted, that thing is bad. Reminds me of the Nor tech that was Orange. That is the first pic I have seen and think they look great, Lets see I will have the Fountain paid off this month ( not bad only took 3 years). I would love to have that vette in my drive way this spring:p

WILL

PhantomChaos 11-11-2003 02:03 PM

It always looks to me that the didn't have time to finish the design of the rear.....so they just make it flat with no style?

http://palmeter.com/C6Spec30.jpg