Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path? >

Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path?

Notices

Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path?

Old 11-30-2003, 08:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SS sure looks like a Searay to me!

Come back to the light.

When I get old , I might consider a cruiser.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

glh , wish i had your problem
Old 11-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Registered

Never saw a Sunseeker with "thru-hulls". I agree with Cuda.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:58 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by cuda
The SS sure looks like a Searay to me!
Come back to the light.
When I get old, I might consider a cruiser.
No SeaRay runs 60mph.
I do love that Cigarette light.
And, your already old!
Old 11-30-2003, 09:28 AM
Banned

Originally posted by GLH
No SeaRay runs 60mph.
I do love that Cigarette light.
And, your already old!

Ok, a fast Searay.

Not old enought to go cruiser yet!
Old 11-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Registered

Don't those cost a Million + new and at least 1/2 mill used? That is some serious coin for 3 maybe 4 months. I would go with the trailer. If you were on the big lake you could go anywhere in the world with that. Thats the ticket. I would go with the Tiger.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Registered

GLH, you know what I think. As far as Black Thunders and Sonics and Fountains... are concerned, those are good boats where everything is solid and will last but in terms of design and aesthetics, they are terrible. The finish is quite simply crap. Don't get me wrong, I said it is all solid and well-made but it's just a multitude of little things that piss me off when I see one. The alignment of panels and doors is not 100% perfect, gaps are a bit irregular, materials are long-lasting but everything is synthetic... I am frankly sick of Corian and Ultraleather and stuff like that. When I shell out top dollar, I want granite, fine wood varnishes and real leather. And design and ergonomics is another thing. As an example, when I see that flat panel dashboard on a Fountain, I freak out. I don't even find it ugly, it leaves me indifferent which is infintely worse on an object of passion like a performance boat. It's just there, nothing more... And when I find out that I can't see half of the gauges because they are hidden behind the steering wheel, then I get really upset and don't even think any further. Buying one is out of the question just because of that dashboard. Sunseeker has what none of the other boats mentioned have: class. It's like a difference between a Range Rover and an H2. I think H2 looks cool and I hear it's a good SUV but when I see the design of that dashboard and touch that hard, shiny plastic it's out of the equation. That type of plastic should be confined to building toys for kids, not 50K+ luxury cars. As for people who won't hang out with you because your boat doesn't make a lot of noise and send you to see Sea Ray owners, if they really are that narrow-minded, forget them in any case, whether you buy the Cig or the SS. I will just say that Sunseeker owners include the likes of Michael Schumacher, J.P. Montoya, Ralf Schumacher had one, Eddie Jordan has one, Nigel Mansell is still sponsored by SS and has one, king Gustav of Sweden has one... I believe even king Juan Carlos of Spain has a Thunderhawk, even though he was really into Cigs and Apaches previously. So if you spot one of those guys, don't talk to them.
Finally, I will say that many people have miconceptions about Sunseeker prices. They are inflated in the US because of the higher purchasing power and the greater availability of credit. This is why a new 50' Thunderhawk with trip Yanmar 440hp and Trimax drives will be 750K. However, in Europe they retail for 450K new. There are plenty of very recent ones on sale, boats which are 2 or 3 years old and which have consequently depreciated a lot and which will depreciate much less in the years to come. The value for a trip Yanmar w/Trimax 50' has stabilized around 300 to 350K for very nice and recent ones. As I have said in a previous thread about performance cruisers, the 48s with trip outdrives can usually be had for under 200K. At this level you will have a choice between triple 502s, triple Volvo diesels (KAD 42 & 43 for 230 or 260 hp each), rare twin or trip Yanmar 300hp on Bravos or a very rare triple Yamaha diesels version. As for the 38' XS2000 boat with twin Yanmar 440hp and Trimax, it is nowhere near 350 and 400K. They can be had any time below 200K. It's a very fun boat although at 75 mph it's not scary fast for an all-out performance boat. The point is the fact that they are nearly indestructible which means that you can really abuse it and come back for more the next day...

If anybody needs any info about Sunseekers on the European market, let me know. I have a few in brokerage and know about pretty much every single one available for sale...
Old 11-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

So Mr Super
It sounds like your really into the....quality....of your pampering......Sonics and Fountains arnt nice enough???.....You want "granite and "fine wood varnishes" .....this is Offshore Only, guys on this board throw out their gen sets and refrigerators and switch to aluminum intakes and exhaust to save weight!!!....Its about stability in a turn through the rough at 80mph!....its about throttle response!.....its about having your props labbed to get another 2mph(if your lucky)!.....its about how level the boat flies and how well it lands!......its about intercoolers and chrome blowers.......its about bottom blueprinting and drive upgrades.......Guys on this board buy a Skater because of its racing pedigree...NOT because King Gustav of Sweden has one ....Thats on the Sea Ray site
Old 11-30-2003, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

$170 sounds like a real steal, if it's true.

I think the Sunseeker would be a terrific compromise choice.

When I decided to make the switch from a 41 Apache to something more family/neighbor friendly, I bought a 45 Searay. I figured if it was time for the switch, why not go all the way to the cruising end of the spectrum.

After a couple of years, going 30 mph got old, so I moved to a 382 Formula, which seemed like a nice compromise. It's been great, but it's no Sunseeker when it comes to style and class.

A 48 Sunseeker would have been an even better choice, but cost almost twice as much.

With perfect hindsight, what I should have done is skip the Searay and Formula and get the Sunseeker!
Old 11-30-2003, 01:39 PM
Registered

Originally posted by wwwTOPDJcom
gee GLH this turned out to be a good Post whore thread I think you got 16 posts out of it so far,

I think CAT will out do you by using his political views
on the Bush thread

still that is a sweet boat
LMFAO

Quick Reply: Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.