Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path? >

Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path?

Notices

Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path?

Old 11-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also look at the older Nor-tech 50's had an aft cabin in them as well. I am sure Terry Sobo or Randy Sweers could assist you. Just my .02
Old 11-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had the 42' Sonics, a Black Thunder and now a 47' SC Fountain (cruise at 50+ mph). Before the Fountain we considered a 400SS Formula (and I would LOVE to have a Sunseeker). I know Bill did this for me because, compared to him, I am a relative new-comer to the boating world. We can still get there almost as fast as the next guy...no we are not an Outerlimits or anything else with big motors... but we will get there in comfort. The Fountain also allows us to have a bimini to protect us from the sun and heat but we also have a gen set that allows us to have a lot of other nice things. As we get older (God forbid) I would love to have a Sunseeker if the amenities were beyond those of the 400 SS Formula or a 48' Express Fountain. A good friend's father has a 48 SuperHawk...what a beautiful boat!

I still love going fast but beyond the Fountain we have now, trailering is not possible. I love to go places.

Just my $.02....for what it's worth...Happy Thanksgiving to all.....

Patti
47' SC Fountain
"Fuelish Pleasure"
Old 11-30-2003, 06:23 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by dallasboats.com
If you have located a clean 2000 Sunseeker Superhawk for the $170k and do not wish to purchase, pleeeze let me know privately. I'd be very interested in the boat even with 502 power.
Originally posted by ApachePete
$170 sounds like a real steal, if it's true.
Dallasboats, I might not have been clear that the Sunseeker would be in the 1996 to1999 range. Pardon the omission.

Some of those I imagine from previous experience would be attainable with a certified cash offer in the $175k range.

Yachtworld Sunseeker 48 Under $240k

Last edited by GLH; 11-30-2003 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:54 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally posted by dallasboats.com
...most likely be a very used older 48, probably a 96 with 502's, bravo's, saltwater use, and high hours. If you are looking at gas engines you can count on a rebuild for each around the 400-500 mark. The drives would probably last about the same, depends on the previous owners.
I agree with your lifespan numbers, I am familiar with 502 Mag MPI's (they are in my Cigarette Now).
As for the other issues any boat I choose I would have inspected thoroughly like should be done to any used boat no matter the Brand, Cig or Sunseeker.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Registered

Too Old, Twinn 29, I was not trying to start a controversy here by knocking Fountain, Black Thunder and co. If I did not like that kind of product, I would not be discussing about them on OSO. Infact, I did say that they were good, reliable products. But I felt obliged to respond to opinions that GLH should not even consider a Sunseeker because it's too heavy, not fast enough, not square enough... Well, all I was saying is that there is a flip side to that coin too. Some people will say that you guys are crazy for considering boats you like because the finish is not refined enough, the design is dated and not ambitious, the comfort factor is far inferior, the materials used are not "noble"... Just like the Sunseeker is behind in terms of performance when compared to your boats, your boats are behind that Sunseeker in terms of comfort and finish. So every boat is a compromise of some sort. GLH will decide which compromise is good for him and his family but I just hate the attitude that a Sunseeker is some kind of an inferior, watered-down peformance boat, basically a bastard offspring of the real performance boat breed. So called "pure" offshore boats also have a ton of compromises built into their design and are inferior to the Sunseeker in many ways, and that's the only point I was trying to make.

twinn29, give me a break. You make it sound like you're on this "die-hard" mission for speed where aesthetics count for nothing. Where performance and functionality are never compromised for anything "pretty". Well, if that's the case, first you shall all remove those mirrors from your engine hatches because that's weight, it reflects heat back to your engines and it generally does nothing for performance. Besides, you won't need them anyway because you shall also stop coating your motors in candy colors and stop putting diamond plating in your bilges. And you shall also remove your 30K paintjobs with seven coats of varnish because it will not make your boat any faster, on the contrary... As for speed and stability, there are many much more fundamental things that could be done to those boats, other than dumping the fridge and saving a few pounds on the exhaust.

Too Old, you're right about tastes and preferences. Those cannot be judged. On the other hand, the value of a design can. Much more thought, research and design effort in general went into that Sunseeker than in a Sonic for example. Its appearance may not be to your liking but one has to value the design effort which was deployed. You probably had an old Range Rover because the new ones are finished better than Hummers and are reliable in terms of electronics. British-made Lucas electronics were problematic, Bosch came with BMW engines so no problems now... I would also say that a BMW or a Mercedes is better finished with better quality materials than a Cadillac for example, although Caddies have improved a lot. Similarly, a Sunseeker is better finished with better quality materials compared to a Fountain for example. But let's not make it a US-Euro thing here because that was not my intention. There are also plenty of US products which are better designed and better finished than Euro products. It's just that in the case we're talking about, a Sunseeker will have the upper hand.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:01 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It comes down to what demands are answered to each particular buyer. Broad statements regarding taste and finish are non consequential. Any particular boat has to be to the liking only of the one buyer purchasing it.

Another thing that I value when I look at boats is the potential depreciation hit I would have to take down the line when I sell. In the case of a 2000 Tiger or a Sunseeker of the years mentioned I would evaluate it to be the same exposure to depreciation.

Both Brands also are well recognized and respected.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:03 PM
Registered

exactly, so you're not crazy afterall for considering this move...
Old 11-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Registered

damn GLH, that one with triple 502s for 169K is a steal. plus it says try offers... not the most marketable choice of wood and colors but still a bargain. It lacks info on the number of hours, equipment... do you have any info? i remind you that the "Marine Trader" valuation for a 1996 is 159 250 pounds sterling or over US$ 260K.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:18 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I called on that one guy says it needs a good compound and a wax. Also says on the phone that $150k would take it easy. The problem is it is not a Blue and Gold hull and if I go Sunseeker I want these colors.
Picky, Picky, Picky I know...

Attached Thumbnails Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path?-side.jpg  

Last edited by GLH; 11-30-2003 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:28 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ST,
If on the phone he says 150k it means cash offer might be available around 135-140k. I budget 20k for buffing and some freshening might be a good deal.
As for book valuation I take it with a grain of salt, we all know something is only worth what one individual will pay for it, not what is printed. The good thing is that if financed the boat's book value easily qualifies then.

Quick Reply: Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.