Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!! >

Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!!

Notices

Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!!

Old 01-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C-Spray,

I know for a fact that your throttleman sucks. Probably put on a broken prop just to screw with you. If he had any balls at all, he'd taken up to 80 where you would have had a nice smooth ride. (Trust me) I know this guy. He likes to keep it in the nasty zone just to mess with you. I'm sure you were doing an outstanding job. Next time tell him to push it on up.

Jim
Old 01-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile In My Opinion...

The best gear-ratio for any fast vee-bottom is a 1.5:1, until you are at 100 m.p.h. and up. This applies to twins as well. The four blade prop, combined with his 1.65:1 ratio could also be an issue. Also, four-blade props(in general) are not particularly the best choice for fast vee-bottoms. Personally, I prefer a good 3-blade on any vee-bottom, for both speed & the lack of steering torque. Each 4-blade design calls for a specific X-dimension, to take full advantage of its characteristics(diameter, etc...) A 4-blade running at a conservative(deep) X-dimension, will produce excessive steering torque. Too much blade surface area. Lastly...the Hydromotive blade contour, rake, etc...is closely characteristic of a cleaver. These props produce sternlift, especially a four blade version, combined with a less than ideal X-dimension, will cause excessive steering torque. In order to properly diagnose your particular 22' Velocity rigging woes, I would start with the X. What is it? Has the transom plate loosened and shifted to one side(tilted), etc...Hope this helps explain a bit more what I meant in my earlier post. By the way, I worked at the Pompano Beach, Fl. Velocity plant in the mid to late eighties & also helped Regal with their transition into the world of Performance Offshore powerboats when Steve Stepp sold out to them. At that time we were producing 2 1/2 22's every week. One 30' every month. And about 3 or 4 38's per year(which measured closer to 40', but at that time we were competing with the "377" Scarab) The 22's were one of my favorite boats. Good luck with your future boat hunting...Gar Heinrich
Old 01-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Kent Perroux

Is this the boat? Yeah, I told him the raise the X-dim, but he kept complaining he would have to cut new exhaust holes.

Not sure who that guy is, but it looks like he is saying a prayer before the ride?
Attached Thumbnails Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!!-mvc-886f.jpg  

Last edited by Kent Perroux; 01-15-2004 at 07:47 PM.

Old 01-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Kent Perroux

Default side shot

side shot. Is this the boat?
Attached Thumbnails Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!!-mvc-884f.jpg  

Old 01-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: side shot

Originally posted by Kent Perroux
side shot. Is this the boat?
Could be. The only part I ever saw was the top. When I asked the observers, all they ever saw was the top....or the bottom. No one ever saw the sides long enough to recognize the paint job. Name seems about right, though.....

"Ed" - Great input. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was reading this post thinking to myself... "I know this boat".
Chuck, If I was you, I would blame it on the throttleman, then stick with that story.

Ed,
In this case, Trust me. This thing is set up to the -nth degree. Not only is it fast, it would probably out accelerate a lot of drag boats out there.
My plane leaves at 0830 tomorrow, (Friday).
Hopefully, I'll get my turn in that boat sometime this weekend.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:20 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

On a semi-related note, was the Challenger hull based on/similar to this Velocity hull?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure who that guy is, but it looks like he is saying a prayer before the ride? [/B][/QUOTE]

Old 01-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

It's not me. HOWEVER, had I known then what I know now, I would be doing the same....
Old 01-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

See you tomorrow, Gordo!

Quick Reply: Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.