Notices

Intercoms

Old 02-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the brains of the RM system. It's standard box from a small aircraft.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2457438679

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2458385987

Last edited by Cord; 02-05-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Registered

Racing Communications
Kraig, 800-990-9941
Old 02-05-2004, 07:38 PM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

If you like doing the wiring and mounting everything yourself check out this site.

http://www.fly-bluesky.com/intercoms.htm
Old 02-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

It would seem to me that if this is truely the "brain box" and it is used in the aircraft industry, that It would make a fail safe marine unit.
Mine is mounted in a safe and secure location within reach on the "dash" and shielded from the elements. So, in my opinion, whether it's in an airplane or my boat would make no difference.
By the way the Revolution Marine unit has ports for using the marine radio thru the headsets, which you could use to communicate with other boats also, and a port to connect to your cell phone. Mine also has a port to hook up to all the alarms on your motor so you can monitor the motors while you are wearing the headsets.
As you can tell, I'm sold on my unit and am extremely happy that I bought it .
Old 02-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Registered

We use the Revolution Marine system in the race boat and I am extremely happy with the results. I also installed the system myself and I found NOTHING cheezy about it....some people might say that I am biased...fine....but... there is nothing like racing 50 miles and being able to communicate w/your throttleman like he is sitting next to you on the beach. The system is crystal clear and has taken the abuse of multiple race teams without failure. The race course is the proving ground and Revolution Marine has proved the quailty and durabliity. Not to mention....you could buy 2 RM systems for what you would pay for one of the others.....
Old 02-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Registered

Cords just stating his opinion. If you've ever met him you'd know that he's not bashing anything. He's picky about his equipment. He's also quite industrious, and can build things in his garage that most of us can't.

If anyone has any comments or concerns email them to [email protected]. Good or bad he's always looking for input on his products.

Brian
Old 02-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last season we were having problems with the old intercom system in the Corsa. After talking with ATodd with Revolution Marine, we decided to try it. We received it in time for the Milwaukee race. In fact, Cord was there and helped with our installation, so mine may be the system he referrs to. I'm not sure which part he thought was "cheesy", but I can tell you the Revolution Marine Intercom system worked perfectly. In fact, the throat mics were the answer to problems I've experienced with a number of other systems in other boats, including my own. I can also tell you that we've had our share of spray and roostertails slamming into us. Water never kept Ernesto and I from talking to each other.
As for the "brains" or the control unit, it may be some variation of an aircraft unit. For that matter, the intercom system in our firetrucks is very similar to the Revolution Marine system. Water never seems to bother that system either, even in the best of water fights. (not that two firetrucks have ever taken part in a water fight...).
Bottom line is, I've tried a number of different intercoms. This one works. The Revolution Marine intercom system is race tested, and race proven. It can be plugged in to your VHF for ship-ship &/or ship-shore communications as well as to your stereo.
In fact, I became so sold on the unit that I became a dealer, and Revolution Marine became a sponsor.

Last edited by Gordo; 02-06-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Registered

Cord,
I talked to Gordo and he said you helped install his system. You're right on the money on the headset/throat mic harness. We put that throat mic harness together with the plastic junction box just to get Gord and Q on the water and racing. Both Gordo and Q gave us feedback right away about the box being heavy and clumsy (sp?). We listened to them and we have since gone to a very clean and durable molded "Y" connector. I'll post the pics.

now instead of the juction box, the throat mic plugs into the recepticle in the side of the boat. Then the headset plugs into the small 3.5 mm silver connector shown in the throat mic picture.

When using the earplug kits for racing, the earplugs plug into the same connector in place of the headset.

Regarding the cost of a marine system vs. an aircraft system, most of the cost of the system is in the cable harness which allows for all of the options, and in the headsets and throat mics. The electronic box itself is less than 20% of the cost of the system.

There is no doubt that there are some electical gurus out there that can piece together a system for less money, and that's ok. We target the customer that wants an easy to install, turn key, and tested system that has proven its value on the race course and on the poker run circuits.

Thanks to all of you for your input!

Todd Wondrow
Revolution Marine Inc.
Attached Thumbnails Intercoms-1074.jpg  
Old 02-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Registered

Headset
Attached Thumbnails Intercoms-1079.jpg  
Old 02-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Thanks Todd! For the record, I was trying to NOT rip on your system. It's just that the jack left such a negative impression, that it degraded the whole system. I'm glad you guys changed it. On the positive side, I liked the engraved face plates. I thought the wiring looked neat and professional. The wiring had a nice "expensive" feel to the insulation. And the throat mikes work awsome!

Quick Reply: Intercoms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.