Notices

Chine Walk ?

Old 03-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydraulic steering will help eliminate chine walking. Also correcting any balance issues will also help. Chinewalking is also affected by the propeller selection. Basically, what is happing is that the boat is falling off the pad, usually this will happen to the right. This is due to prop torque. A experienced driver will be able to feel the boat when it starts to fall off. A quick twitch of the wheel will throw it back up right.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Want to know what Chine Walking is????

Ride in a Velocity!!!!

Hey, Gordo you got a picture or vid. of your old Velocity in that shoot-out up on Omaha?? That was chine walking!! (with a little N.O.S. thrown in)
Old 03-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to run a 90mph 17 foot hydro stream and if you did not know how to drive the thing it would flip right over or through you out. what i found was a good driver could comletly eliminate chin walk. after a while it never did it to me but if someone else got behind the wheel they could not drive the boat at hight speed.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Registered

I worked a 24' superboat that had twin 2.4efi motors. After about 75mph it would chine walk so bad I had to back off. Could not drive through it. That is a straight V with no pad or steps.
On an outboard boat you need solid motor mounts and a solid steering system
Old 03-15-2004, 02:40 PM

hugetime1

I hear you. I also had a 17 foot hydrostream. 260hp, foot throttle, jackplate. It only weighed 400 lbs dry. Over 75mph it chine walked horrific. Only an experienced highspeed/small boat driver could get it up into the 90's (not me). I almost killed myself around 85mph on it.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Registered

Speed is on the other side of the chine walk.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
Errrr, no thanks!
Oh, Come on.... It's Fun every once in a while!!!

That's why I bought a old 22ft Velocity, just to take people for rides!!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes, a twin can chinewalk, but in that case it is not caused by prop torque, but usually instigated by irregular water conditions.

As has been said, some hull styles are much more susceptible to it than others.

Steering slop can allow an otherwise stable hull to chinewalk. Tight direct steering can't solve the issue in some hulls, though.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Registered

I had almost exactly the same experience as Troutly, except in a 32 Fever. Tabs to the up-stops, trimming up the drives at WFO, quartering 6-inch wind-driven surface, tweakin that last MPH (props spinning in).
One second, everythings fine, next second Holy Sh!t. Almost got ejected. Wifey was apoplectic.

ap·o·plec·tic
adjective

1. furious: overcome with anger

2. medicine exhibiting symptoms of stroke: having the symptoms of a stroke
Old 03-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default chine walk and porpoise

I have a '81 26' scarab with an arneson 6 . There were holes and upper mounts for turnbuckles all along the trailing edge of the bottom. I assume that there were trim tabs on this at one point. It also had a 3/8" hook on the mid point strake one foot before the transom. I removed the hook and straightened and sharpened the strakes and the point where the bottom and transom meet . I'll have 350 hp SB in this when its finished . More power if I like the handling and performance. anybody with experience with this hull???? thanks andrewmasonsr

Quick Reply: Chine Walk ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.