Notices

The ultimate engine?

Old 03-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Hmm

How many you looking for ?

I have some other's I may consider letting go.
Stotler's freshend by Carolina Racing.
720 hp each.

Cougarman
Old 03-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cougarman,

How many engines DO you have in your possession???

You could start Cougarman Racing Engines!

Whirly
Old 03-19-2004, 02:33 PM
Gold Member

I have two 598`s less accesories
I have one 555 650 hp na
I have one 555 850 hp sc
I have one 622 750 hp na

All these long blocks are new and just in parts alone on any is about 10k not including the time it takes to put one together to spec, checking all the clearances
and the piston to valve etc. Knowone that builds a motor of this size can give out any warranty under $15k
because there is no room for error, just in prep alone there is so much time and $$$$ good luck to you on a reliable timex

Last edited by MIAMIBOYZ; 03-19-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Registered

MYPANTERA28,

I appreciate your insight. Yes, good equipment is expensive. But in the case above, Marine Engines Inc. is one of the largest marine engine builders in the country. They purchase parts on a scale we only dream of. They also have large assembly plants that have the capacity to load the company overhead according to where it is or is not needed.

As stated earlier in the post: Marine Engines Inc. is selling a long block 632 C.I. at 725 HP for just under $10K. The parts and labor to rig the motor don't exceed $5K. This will give us a $15K total and meet all of the original requirements including a warranty. I am by no means implying that this is the best engine package for the money, it's just an example. I have not owned one or experienced their product.

I don't believe this is the only company that can produce these numbers, hence the reason for the thread.

What other packages, outside of the one above, would meet the original criteria?

Whirly
Old 03-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Registered

Wow, maybe you and Marine Engines Inc need to get a room...

IMHO, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If a reliable 700+ hp motor could be built and warrantied, profitably, for $15K, I'd guess you'd see them everywhere. The fact that literally dozens of reputable engine builders, from Sterling to Chief to TMP, etc etc etc, don't have a product like this leads me to believe that something just don't smell right.

But I'm jest a po' country boy, so what do I know?
Old 03-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

with out exhaust and some of the pretty stuff you can have these new with warranty for 15k. 800+hp and 91 octane fuel.
Attached Thumbnails The ultimate engine?-beautiful632.jpg  
Old 03-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

and these have all the best parts. inconel valves, fully cnc ported heads balanced blueprinted je pistons, ect.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Registered

Dockrocker,

The reason that Sterling, Chief and TMP don't produce a 700 HP motor for 15K isn't because it can't be done or that it is too good to be true, it's economies of scale. All of the previously mentioned companies have neither the buying power or the ability to distribute overhead the way the larger companies do. Marine Engines Inc. is the supplier of the engine, Recon Engines builds them (I believe). The companies have history and are reputable (see previous post on this engine below).
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...&highlight=632

Would I rather have a Sterling engine? Of course, but I can't afford them and neither can most people. Mike builds a tremendous product and fills a very small niche in a very selective market. His product, along with many of the other high performance engine manufacturers are built with the very best by the very best, that's why the product brings the money it does. As it has always been in any niche market.

I do believe, however, that there can be reliable power for the rest of the boating market that can be purchased for 15K an engine. It doesn't have to make 700 H.P. , it could make 550 or 600. When it comes time to purchase power I want to believe that I have purchased the best possible powerplant for the money, as I believe most do. This was the intent of the thread. Education.

It would be great for some of you with more experience than I to tell how a potential powerplant that would meet the original criterea of the thread could be built and purchased instead of telling us all the reasons it can not be done.

Whirly
Old 03-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Registered

Maybe no one is "tell[img] how a potential powerplant that would meet the original criterea of the thread could be built and purchased" for $15K because it cannot be done.

*shrug*

Like I said, if it were possible to build reliable, warrantied, marine engines that make 700 hp consistently and to turn a profit while selling them at the price of a HP500 , you'd see them everywhere.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Registered

Bigyellowcat,

Beatiful motors. Great power and a great price. Are you an engine builder by trade?

Whirly

Quick Reply: The ultimate engine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.