Notices

The ultimate engine?

Old 03-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ultimate engine?

The parameters are:

A) You can't spend more than $15K per motor.

B) The motor has to be completly rigged. Water system, oil system with cooler and filter, fuel system including pump, ignition, harness, etc. Carb to pan. Ready to bolt in (less headers and engine mounts).

C) Must run on pump gas. 92 Octane (we can put in high eighties at the local pump and add booster if need be).

D) Naturally asperated or blown, doesn't matter. Single, twin carb or fuel injection, doesn't matter. Intercoolers or no, doesn't matter. ANY combination

E) It's gotta start and idle. Turn the key and go

F) It's gotta live. That means we should limit it to 6000 RPM max.

G) 90 Warranty

Motors like the NA 632 CI 725HP Marine Engines Inc. package seem to fit the bill and has a warranty. The motors are bare but could be rigged for 5K less mounts and pipes.

I am sure there are quite a few other packages that may not only produce more power but may be more reliable???

O.K. experts, let er rip.

Whirly
Old 03-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Registered

Comon Mark! Please expound. We need cubic inches, horsepower ratings, etc...

Give us the goods on a particular package.

Whirly
Old 03-18-2004, 10:16 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In your dreams, come on, wakeup, you get what you pay for
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 03-18-2004, 10:26 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

you can't get too "ultimate" for 15k per engine.

I don;t believe you coudl get a merc HP500 for under taht number
Old 03-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Registered

My definition of "ultimate" in this particular case is what is the best possible combination for the money is that is available. Most people on this forum don't have $35 K to spend on one engine, much less two.

As I stated earlier. There are competitive packages available for 15K like the 632 C.I. Marine Engines Inc. package making 725 HP with a warranty for less than $10,000.00 in long block form.

There has to be other packages out there that are similar. I know I am not the only one thinking in this way.

Whirly
Old 03-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

As Mick Jagger puts it so eloquently:

"You can't always get what you want"
"but if you try sometimes, you just might find - you get what you need"

If you got a budget of $15k, you may WANT a reliable 750 horse pump gas package...

You can most CERTAINLY build what you want from good platforms for that price, but to have one delivered to your porch ready to drop in for $15k? Better work with a well respected marine builder and make sure you cover all of your bases.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Whipple a pair of 500Efis
Old 03-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Registered

725HP complete package for 15K???

I'm no expert, but I doubt it.

I don't think 15k is going to buy much more than stock if you want reliability.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Just my opinion.

Dean
Old 03-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whipple a pair of 454 mags....
Old 03-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Registered

What about the 632 cubic inch Marine Engines Inc. package. There was a good thread a while back listed under 632 CI 725 HP. Here's the link http://www.1800runsnew.com/gm13.htm

There's a motor that is only making alittle more than 1 HP per C.I. Compression is most likely around 9.5 to 1. It comes with a warranty and makes great power for the money.

I hear you guys telling me it's not possible to build 700 HP reliably that will run on pump gas with a warranty but the above exists and it is available. The long block is approximately $10,000.00 less intake, carb and rigging. The other post had everything to complete it bought new and installed at around $5,000.00 Giving us our $15,000.00 total mark less pipes and mounts.

Whipple keeps coming up. I have heard great things about their product. Does anyone build a solid marine long block (crate motor) in the 454 to 502 C.I. range with low compression that could be Whippled to make the same type of power? I know this would eliminate the "warranty provision" but if the long block is a good solid product to begin with it should still meet the rest of the requirements.

This thread was originally listed because I see alot of guys that are buying and selling good used equipment on the "parts for sale thread". I began to review possible packages with used equipment much like "Too Old" and other guys have done in the past. One of the main reasons for this is because engine packages have become so costly. I am trying to find out what other OSO'ers may know that I do not. What might be the "best" or "Ultimate" power for the dollar.

Whirly

Quick Reply: The ultimate engine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.