Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Performance Boating License (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81504-performance-boating-license.html)

robyw1 06-17-2004 02:25 PM

Re: Performance Boating License

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
In NJ for a few extra bucks you can get boat added to your DL, however it only requires the fee, kinda worthless as a boating license.

NOPE! Not worthless at all. The state got exactly what they wanted.

Roby

pachangalpina 06-17-2004 02:31 PM

The states could use that highway tax that we pay for with every gallon of gas to subsidize a boating safety school.

Like that will ever happen. :rolleyes:

Iggy 06-17-2004 02:37 PM

All boaters should be required to take a boating course and the individual states could add a code to their drivers license as proof. No extra fees, just renew it with your regular license. They do it with motorcycles, why not boats.

Vern 06-17-2004 02:55 PM

No extra fees, just renew it with your regular license. They do it with motorcycles, why not boats.
No extra fees, I don't think so, you can bet there would a lot of extra fees just for the licensing.

JPD Motorsports 06-17-2004 03:16 PM

I would prefer not to see licensing for boats, people will just take the risk and run anyways, kinda like riding a bike and a car. Only in trouble if caught. Also if a license was required then the applying person could go get a john boat with a 25hp motor on it and pass then bring out his 70mph boat. Now if the insurance companys wanted to get together and issue a safe boating course like the cycle classes and approve of the course for an insurance break then all for something like that.

Love Machine 06-17-2004 03:20 PM

No lisence and no speed limits.

aero-offshore 06-17-2004 03:27 PM

When I was in High school we had a required boating safety coarse and received a card that proved it. It should be that way now. I don't agree you need a license. Maybe the manufactures could voluntarily put right of way decals on the helm with basic rules of the waterways.

hot water 06-17-2004 03:27 PM

It seems that at this point we might all agree that at least all drivers of any watercraft ( jetskis, ski boats, cruisers, high performance ) should be required to take some sort of a USCG certification course.

At least then I might not have to be so good at evasive driving techniques.

MitchStellin 06-17-2004 03:41 PM

I have been boating for 30 years, I have taken the boaters safety course at 14. I say all should take a course to learn the rules of the water. I cannot count the number of times boaters are on the wrong side of the "road" I am tired of it. I can't even relax on a busy lake due to incompetent boaters. LOTO was the worst I have ever seen. Drive the damn boat like a car, when passing or any maneuver.....leave them to the left....I have had times I would like to pull them over and explain the jerk off move they made. Don't even get me started on Lake Lice...... :blaster:

Tim G. 06-17-2004 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Von Bongo
I don't agree with a license, however I would like to see a performance boating course that is recognized buy the insurance underwriters.

Big 10-4 on this.. It's like taking an MSF course for motorcycles... You'll get a better rate for your two wheeler if you have an MSF cert.
That is what we need for boats.......