If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    My Boats:
    Hustler 388

Re: Losing prop blades

Quote Originally Posted by blown formula
    I know... Merc issued a service bulletin this spring on Bravo props and inspecting them for cracks. Also, they do not warranty the props for the cracks!! Strange, huh?
    My mechanic just filed a claim to Merc for two Bravo's 30" pitch for the same problem. We are waiting to see the results.

Does anybody have a copy of the Service bulletin ?

I talked to merc they said if it is less than one year old send it back thru your dealer . My dealer went out of business and its over 1 year. I wonder if the new prop I bought will last longer if its the new design?

Reed I am sure Teauge would be glad to sell me some more props$$$.

I can understand it ya stabbing it to get on plane or like the Cats running close or on top of the water slapping blades. or flying the boat shocking it on reentry.I don't do this . I don't mine tearing up stuff from hot rodding or I just to much power [been there] kinda like drag racing ya will hurt some parts soon or later. But this is 3 props that have failed in the exact same place on the blade in a year and 1/2

I guess at least it did not sling thru the swim platform

Anybody else ???

Boost makes up for Cubic Inchs

My Boats:
    AKA Throttle Up Propellers
    Cajun Country

Re: Losing prop blades

The phone number for Mercury Propeller Warranty is 405 743 6539. The address for returning props to Mercury is;
    Mercury Marine
    W6250-22B Pioneer Road
    Fond du Lac, WI 54935

Unfortunatley blade failure is a part of high performance boating. Engine horsepower has exceeded the original design limitations of the Bravo style prop. Not so long ago 330hp was a big deal and the Bravo drive held up well. Now it's routine to have 800-1000 hp put through a Bravo drive. Both the drive and the prop are stressed to the max.

We have found that the 5 and 6 blade props hold up better than the 4 blade props. The failure rate of the 6 blade props is extremely low. The load is distributed amoung more blade are thus reducing the load on any one blade. The drive also has less stress due to a substantial decrease in vibration, especially in applications with high drive heights.

There are also some boats that are much more prone to blade failure than other due to hull design.

Last edited by throttleup; 09-15-2004 at 08:25 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345