Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85210-another-fatality-time-up-1000-islands.html)

Rippem 08-15-2004 03:50 PM

Re: Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands

still searching is not good. :( Most are never found, as the wildly varying depths and rocky bottom causes crazy subsurface currents in the St. Lawrence.

I know that area well, as we had a camp behind Ironsides for many years. Tough, tough area to be diving and searching.

Godspeed the divers, they want nothing more than to make a recovery, they have his family in mind right now.

halffast_2003 08-15-2004 05:54 PM

just saw on the news...they recovered the body.. He was still in the boat in 115ft of water

Audiofn 08-15-2004 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by cuda
I don't think Jon meant the cruiser was clueless about running the boat, I think he meant they were unaware of the disaster behind them. Correct me if I'm wrong Jon.

Yes that is the point I was making.

Jon

Audiofn 08-15-2004 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jb
please dont speculate. the 26 AO was friend and the guy in the fountain who pulled the young lady out was also a friend. Three boats were running along side (give or take) when the cat pulled ahead and the accident occurred. More details will follow I am sure in an official press release. Audio, It surely had to be very difficult to watch this accident happen. My condolences to the families involved...
Yes The 1000 islands can be very dangerous in the main channels...as with every other place in the world that has high traffic.

I have not speculated ANY on this one. There were ONLY two boats running together. Other fountains showed up later but when TopDJ, Monica and I arrived there was the Cat that was already at the bottom, the Fountain, and another bow rider and us.

Jon

Rippem 08-15-2004 06:37 PM

speaking of those currents...it took 24 hours to find the boat, and the River is very clear.

Audiofn 08-15-2004 06:40 PM

http://www.news10now.com/content/top...asp?ArID=25987

That about says it all :(

Jon

Audiofn 08-15-2004 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rippem
speaking of those currents...it took 24 hours to find the boat, and the River is very clear.

Ya unfortunatly we were not smart enough to set the first place that we came in as a way point on the GPS. I am sure that after a little bit we had driffted some.

Rippem 08-15-2004 07:20 PM

credit the divers, 10 hours to recovery according to the news.

I had met JG first back in '94/95 on the River. He had that AO then and I had a blown 26' Thoroughbred/Velocity. This is back when high 80's was fast. We ran 'em of course, and he beat me. It was a good run.

When we shut 'em down to shoot the breeze, the first thing he said to me was "that runs pretty good!". I think he was suprised I hung with him into the 80's, but the first thing he did was compliment my ride.

RIP

wwwTOPDJcom 08-15-2004 07:44 PM

Audio you were right he was tossed up inside the boat,
if we were only closer and your Idea to keep the boat afloat might have worked, that would have given us a chance to save him.

Steet 08-15-2004 08:07 PM

Food for thought. I run both performance boats and cruisers. When I am in the performance boat running mid 80's I complain because the cruisers are in my way and are making big wakes. When I am in my cruiser, I am complaining about the performance boats running wide open by me. The way I look at it, is that each has a right to be on the water. I have no right to complain about the fast boats or the fast boats about me. Experience teaches us to react to each scenerio when faced with circumstances.
Not taking sides, but I had rather run fast than slow any day, but look at the statistics of who ends up on the short end of the stick when it comes to accidents. It is usually the extreme boaters. I have a hard time paying insurance as it is, and it is not getting any better.
God Bless the familiy or families of this tragedy.