Originally Posted by Wasabe

so cool ....
Old 08-20-2004, 10:47 PM
OffshoreOnly Antagonizer
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thread Closed.

Originally Posted by d-hlaw
Lets be intellectually honest here... Steve has little or no liability for slanderous statements by members on his forum, that is just the excuse for poofing some threads that create inherent conflicts of interest. Fact is that although we as the forum members represent a portion of his income the advertisers do also but with the added benefit of being able to give percs that we dont have. Nothing wrong with that! The fine line that has be walked is that of avoiding the unjustfied bashing of advertisers while ensuring that scumbags arent taking advantage of his forum members. I submit that he seems to do a pretty good job although he errs on the conservative side when it comes to allegations about advertisers. This past week has been tough because alot of GOOD people with credibility on this forum have found out that they are in for a rough road. Unforunately at the same time OSO seemed to be trying to quiet the situation. Maybe next week will bring better news!!!
Brett,

You and I are going to have our first battle over this one. I do not believe that Steve has ever used liability for libel as a pretext for poofing a thread. On the contrary, he usually warns the people making speculative, adverse posts that THEY may be held accountable for their statements by the party to whom their posts are directed. He knows most advertisers on this site personally and, therefore, errs on the side of protecting their business interests due to the speed at which gossip and innuendo fly around these forums, often without factual support. As you well know, harmful, untrue statements about a person's business practices are de facto libelous. OSO does a very good job at balancing the business interests of its advertisers with the personal interests on its members. I disagree with you that OSO tried to "quiet the situation" with NM. The thread was left alone for some time, until unfounded rumors about federal investigations and arrests were posted. At some point, OSO has to step in to restore the equilibrium. It is very easy for us to chime in from the sidelines. It is a far more difficult task to be the one doing the balancing act.

-Mr. Sorkin, 10th Grade Geometry teacher
Old 08-20-2004, 10:54 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well said KEV
Old 08-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phknlwyr
Brett,

You and I are going to have our first battle over this one. I do not believe that Steve has ever used liability for libel as a pretext for poofing a thread. On the contrary, he usually warns the people making speculative, adverse posts that THEY may be held accountable for their statements by the party to whom their posts are directed. He knows most advertisers on this site personally and, therefore, errs on the side of protecting their business interests due to the speed at which gossip and innuendo fly around these forums, often without factual support. As you well know, harmful, untrue statements about a person's business practices are de facto libelous. OSO does a very good job at balancing the business interests of its advertisers with the personal interests on its members. I disagree with you that OSO tried to "quiet the situation" with NM. The thread was left alone for some time, until unfounded rumors about federal investigations and arrests were posted. At some point, OSO has to step in to restore the equilibrium. It is very easy for us to chime in from the sidelines. It is a far more difficult task to be the one doing the balancing act.
I may have gotten caught up in the post that I was responding to............. but I think is substance we agree and my post reflects that. This whole thing brings back memories of Keith Eickert Power Products and the BS that went on around there!! I assisted 3 people in getting property returned from the claws of .... well you know the rest. Now it appears that I may be doing quite a bit of work related to this issue.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shall I redact my first post??
Old 08-21-2004, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does this post have to do with boating ? We need a piss my pants section next
Old 08-21-2004, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is too cool, lawyers arguing for free Who'd a ever thunk ? WOW
Old 08-21-2004, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
This is too cool, lawyers arguing for free Who'd a ever thunk ? WOW
Oh not so quick! I am SURE they will send the bill to SOMEONE! Thay will probably bill each of us members for legal advice...

Quick Reply: Thread Closed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.