Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Great Salt Lake?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86238-great-salt-lake.html)

Reed Jensen 09-01-2004 11:49 AM

Re: The Great Salt Lake??

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
We like to go to Utah to snow ski. Some of the best in the country in my opinion. When you fly in you really get a good view of the lake.

The lake has always interested me because a good friend back in grade school made a trip there and told me that there was so much salt in the water that you would not sink when you went swimming in it.

Well I guess I never learned if this is true or not, but have remembered it now for 35 years!

Anyone know?

I skied Snowbird the first year it opened (1971)... I can also remember when Park City was just a mining town (silver).. The original ski resorts are Alta and Brighton.... (My grandmother was born in Park City in 1892) I like to tell people that I remember Park City when it was "Park City BC" the BC being "Before Condo".......Yes... when the lake level is low... the specific gravity of the salt water is so high that you literally float like a cork on top of the water... Picture post cards used to show people in a circle playing cards.... with only their butts and the tops of their legs in the water.... unfortunately the salinity burned your eyes and any mucus membranes in the water... so you didn't want to spend much time in the lake. :D

robyw1 09-01-2004 12:43 PM

Well then maybe some Kilo runs should be made there. Any reason why not?

Roby

fund razor 09-01-2004 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Ahhhh Jesus... don't tell me you're working for the Osmonds.......... :eek:

Yes, my son?

No, I work for a hospital.
Getting to hang out with them is just a side benefit. :D

I was never into their music, but their charity is excellent.

aero-offshore 09-01-2004 01:32 PM

I remember going there when I was a kid in 1966, All I remember was that in stank and stung you eye's and I got worn out trying to get deep enough, far enough out, to swim. It seemed like 100 yards.And the showers at the shore.

fund razor 09-01-2004 01:33 PM

Damn Reed,

You are one of them. Your grandma must have hung around with Brigham Young.

Must have been cool growing up before the modernization, so to speak.

robyw1 09-01-2004 01:50 PM

Nah... reed went there because he thought it was "bringthemyoung" :D:D

Roby

Dock Holiday 09-01-2004 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
I skied Snowbird the first year it opened (1971)... I can also remember when Park City was just a mining town (silver).. The original ski resorts are Alta and Brighton.... (My grandmother was born in Park City in 1892) I like to tell people that I remember Park City when it was "Park City BC" the BC being "Before Condo".......Yes... when the lake level is low... the specific gravity of the salt water is so high that you literally float like a cork on top of the water... Picture post cards used to show people in a circle playing cards.... with only their butts and the tops of their legs in the water.... unfortunately the salinity burned your eyes and any mucus membranes in the water... so you didn't want to spend much time in the lake. :D

Love Park City, have also skied Deer Valley. We have always caught it with good weather and good snow. Glad I thought about this, need to make plans to go back this year!

Reed Jensen 09-01-2004 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor
Damn Reed,

You are one of them. Your grandma must have hung around with Brigham Young.

Must have been cool growing up before the modernization, so to speak.

It was interesting to see Park City change over the years.... Talk about missed opportunities.... get this... when I was in grade school... We used to drive up to Park City on a saturday to look around and there were houses for sale on Park Avenue ( small miner's houses ) for $100.00.... yeap... that isn't a missprint... $100.00 Then the ski resort opened and they skyrocketed to $1,000.00.... hahahahahahaha.... by the early 80's when they were developing Deer VAlley those same houses were $100,000.00 There were people that had bought 6 or 7 houses in a row when they were really cheap and then developed them into condos and sold property to build hotels... Talk about sitting on a gold mine.... :(

Reed Jensen 09-01-2004 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Troutly
Well, that explains a lot...... :p

Oh yeah?... Like why I don't have several wives?......... :D
Whenever I tell some one that I'm originally from Utah... I then sumarilly answer there next two question... NO and NO... No... I'm not Mormon... and NO I don't have multiple wives........ :drink:

Reed Jensen 09-01-2004 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Troutly
I thought that was just in the downtown area, not every street in town. I went through there many years ago and did not recall all streets being real wide.

Just the downtown area.... The last home I owned in SLC was 637 ea 300 so... just two blocks from the Governor's mansion... I had a wide street... but further out in the suburbs the streets are normal size.