Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Great Salt Lake?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86238-great-salt-lake.html)

gdfatha 09-01-2004 04:28 PM

Re: The Great Salt Lake??

I used to go up there once a month from Woodland Hill Ca. to Litton Industries.

We stayed at Little america or the Embassy Suits..

Mammaries that come to mind are:

Club 39

The Iron Horse

Studebakers

The Top of the Marriott

New York New York

Red Bull..

Ahhhh.. My customers never left dissatisfied..

BUTT..

Don't forget to mention that unless you bring your own bottle..Each drink is poured from a government owned electronic booze dispensor that measures exactly 1 ounce......& most hotels have a free membership to residents.

The town was loaded with hookers..

Not me ...never touched themm.. :drink: :drink:

fund razor 09-01-2004 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Troutly
I thought that was just in the downtown area, not every street in town. I went through there many years ago and did not recall all streets being real wide.

Yep. Sorry. Meant downtown not town. I don't know the burbs, so downtown is my reference. It was the streets that were built when wagions were still being used.

(Just before Reed left)

Wateronthebrain 09-01-2004 05:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
There is one very misterious place on the salt lake that has been kind of an enigma for over a hundred years. I've traveled past the "Saltair" resort many a time and have watched it go from weird to bad to worse. The Original structure was kind of gothic but beautiful looking and was later burnt to the ground.I remember my parents telling me they used to swim or "float" in the great salt lake and then.It apparently was a fun thing for alot of people. The building had a dance hall, waterslides, mini golf course, and then some other odd amenities. In the 80's, the water rose so high, it flooded the now "airplane Hangar" structure to the 5 or 6 foot level. It was later abandoned. You can see the High water salt line on the outside of the building in the last picture.I think it reopened in the 90's with a few little gift/trinket shops. Nothing really there worth seeing anymore. Kind of an era gone by. If your interested, watch the 60's cult movie " Carnival of Souls" . It was filmed in part there and its kind of a freaky old movie to watch. Make sure that you have lots of popcorn!!!

Reed Jensen 09-01-2004 05:37 PM

Carnival of the souls was filmed at the Saltaire II... you have pictures of Saltair I and Saltaire III... Saltaire II had amusment rides and it also burned to the ground in the late 60's... weird history to the place... I can remember they tried to sand bag SA III but the water got too high and flooded it... Then they installed the huge pumps at the southwest end of the lake... they cost millions of dollars.... millions of dollars to maintain... and they were never used.... just as they came online the lake level started dropping quickly... :eek:

Wateronthebrain 09-01-2004 06:12 PM

I always get a weird feeling when passing through the Salt lake area. Is this just me or does it seem like there is something a little "off in this area?

Reed Jensen 09-01-2004 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wateronthebrain
I always get a weird feeling when passing through the Salt lake area. Is this just me or does it seem like there is something a little "off in this area?

Nope..... it's not you... it's them.... It really becomes obvious when you have lived there and go back.... I love it when the tv newscasters start off a news segment with " Today Church leaders voice their opinions".... which is Mormonese for all the faithful to listen........ :eek: I begin to freak-out when I have been there for more than a couple of days..... :snide:

Reed Jensen 09-01-2004 06:54 PM

It's even stranger when you are in Utah County... If you were to remove Utah county from the country... with it's birthrate 51 percent higher than the national average and it's low income... it would qualify as a third world country..... :D

Wateronthebrain 09-01-2004 07:00 PM

Reed, Where in relation to Salt lake city is Utah county? or is it a part thereof? Any funny Mormonese stories to tell about growin' up there? What are some of the weirdest things you've encountered?

Reed Jensen 09-01-2004 07:03 PM

Utah County is just south of Salt Lake County... Provo is the main city there,.... it is where Bigandhung ..... uhhh I mean Brigham Young University is located.... Oh... sh!t... Utah and Mormon stories... too many to think of.... where do I start.... :eek:

Ron P 09-01-2004 08:43 PM

I had a Mormon friend, he like to tell this joke.

If a moron and a Jew were stranded on a deserted island, the Mormon would have the Jew paying rent within a week.

I think they hold themselves in high esteem.