Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ford F350 Diesel Tranny Question???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87199-ford-f350-diesel-tranny-question.html)

Neverfastenuf 09-24-2004 10:12 AM

Re: Ford F350 Diesel Tranny Question????

Dave, I just priced a 4R100 and my cost is $1949.16\retail-$2259.89. The cooler is $151.17 retail, $117.91 my cost. These prices are the same nation wide. This will give you some type of guideline anyway. Too bad you are not closer to Colorado, I could help you out a little anyway. Long drive though for $700.00 to $800.00. LOL Sam

Wardey 09-24-2004 11:47 AM

If you guy's had snow , I would be there by now !!!! My wifes uncle used to live in GJ. The bill is 3K and some change. They did the tranny rebuild, front and rear brakes and an oil change. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. Dave

Neverfastenuf 09-24-2004 01:55 PM

Dave, we got 18" of snow on the Grand Mesa earlier this week. Most snow since 1909. Figures, my daughter is getting married next weekend at the ski resort up there, Powderhorn. It is an awesome time of year normally. It is called Color Sunday. The aspens are vibrant yellow and the scrub oak is bright red. Now with the snow it will be all the more spectacular,(that's what I am telling her anyway). Enough babble here. Glad everything worked out with the truck. Sam

EvilTwin 09-24-2004 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wardey
O.K. The verdict is in. I took the truck into the dealership and they say the torque converter came apart putting metal throughout the tranny. :mad: They estimate the cost to be $3200.00 for the tranny rebuild !!!! This sucks. :hothead: Dave

Wait a second. The gas motors are covered only 3yr/36k miles (powertrain also), but the PowerStrokes have the 100k mile powertrain warranty. My fathers powerstroke lost a converter and it was past the 3/36 and Ford covered it no questions. The tranny is part of the powertrain. Check into this. Just thought I would put this out there.

ET

articfriends 09-24-2004 04:30 PM

Sorry to hear you couldn't get factory re-manned w/longer warranty,Sam's right about the price. Sounds like it was kinda slow at the dealer and they need the work. If i could get customers to pay 3200$ for a trans job i'd be driving a 42 ft fountain,Smitty

turbosonic1 09-24-2004 04:53 PM

Solved my Ford Tranny problem

1 Attachment(s)
Wardley...

I have installed one tranny per year in my 01 PSD, the first two Ford paid for the last one I was responsible for ($3500.00). It only had 44K on it and the truck only has 80K on it. After a furious fight with Ford, the dealership etc I decided to solve the problem.

The C4500 with the Allison trans and Monroe conversion is the answer!... note the F350 in the back ground, the new owner should pick it up next week.

The line that did it for me was from my local Ford dealership owner was this--

"So the answer to your question regarding whether a transmission a year is acceptable is not “Yes”, but it’s not “No” either – it’s “No, but”. By that I mean that mechanical breakdowns occur over a wide band of mileage. Some components last longer than others, but to have this go out when it did at 44,000 miles is within our normal experience. Do we wish it had not happened? Of course. Have some of our customers had this happen to them at this mileage level, or even less? Yes."

So I solved the hassle with the new C4500 Kodiak.

I will never buy another Ford and I am back to Chevy where I had been for 21 years!

Wardey 09-24-2004 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know what you mean. Like I said, it used to be you bought a 1 ton or for the matter a 3/4 ton truck and you had a TRUCK !!!! When I was leaving after paying the cashier the salesman that sold me the truck walked up and informed me that I need to check out the new models....... I informed him that this would be my new model....... http://www.f650pickups.com/page0003.html

If I want a truck...i'll buy a truck, not a car with truck parts. :hothead: Dave

Neverfastenuf 09-24-2004 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Wait a second. The gas motors are covered only 3yr/36k miles (powertrain also), but the PowerStrokes have the 100k mile powertrain warranty. My fathers powerstroke lost a converter and it was past the 3/36 and Ford covered it no questions. The tranny is part of the powertrain. Check into this. Just thought I would put this out there.

ET

ET, your Dad must have had some pull at Ford to get them to warranty the convertor after 36000 miles. The 100k mile waranty is ENGINE only(PSD). He may have had some extended warranty which is possible, but Fords basic warranty is 3\36 bumper to bumper, 100k diesel engine warranty. Sam

articfriends 09-24-2004 06:50 PM

GM is the same way,alot of duramax owners mistakenly think they have a 100k powertarain warranty when actually the 100k is only on the motor AND only covers major components.I run a small transmission shop and i also see/hear of ford sometimes going half on parts/labor on stuff thats out of warranty for some customers. There is no rhime or reason to their policy though,ive had vehicles come to me w/40k on them that the dealer flatout refused to do anything unless full price and ive heard of them fixing stuff free w/75k on them,Smitty

Formula Outlaw 09-24-2004 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wardey
I know what you mean. Like I said, it used to be you bought a 1 ton or for the matter a 3/4 ton truck and you had a TRUCK !!!!
If I want a truck...i'll buy a truck, not a car with truck parts. :hothead: Dave

I mean think about it. 45,000 miles and what is supposed to be a heavy duty truck tranny craps out? Back in the 60's a truck was a truck. I've got a buddy up in Maine who has a 72 one ton Chevy with over 300,000 miles on it and he's had the tranny rebuilt once. And he claims it was his fault because he started leading fluid and didn't deal with it fast enough.

You can spend 50 grand on a truck now and need a tranny in a year? Sickening...... :blaster: :blaster: