Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Supercharged Engines...Life expectancy (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87609-supercharged-engines-life-expectancy.html)

Comanche3Six 09-26-2004 07:38 PM

Re: Supercharged Engines...Life expectancy

Originally Posted by Biggus
Parts list sounds great except for the gear drive.

I've never heard of a gear driven timing set-up lasting very long in a marine application.

Harmonics/same rpm @ long duration = short life

I believe the buzz will break a cast cam. The billet cam has no problem with it so far.

tizbad4 09-26-2004 07:55 PM

7 years on 850 hp. 809 on dyno then head change and added 3.5 lb of boost not a prob. pushing 12,000k .........FOR SALE FRESH. WILL DYNO

Reed Jensen 09-26-2004 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by CigaretteFirefox
I believe the buzz will break a cast cam. The billet cam has no problem with it so far.

Pete Jackson gear drives is about 1 mile from my shop.... I drive past there all the time... I met his older brother "Kong" Jackson... he made hot rod parts back in the 50's... sadly Kong died a couple of years ago....... :( I've always heard there were problems running gear drives... hmmmmmmm. ) I'm glad to hear you've had success with them....... :D

Comanche3Six 09-27-2004 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Pete Jackson gear drives is about 1 mile from my shop.... I drive past there all the time... I met his older brother "Kong" Jackson... he made hot rod parts back in the 50's... sadly Kong died a couple of years ago....... :( I've always heard there were problems running gear drives... hmmmmmmm. ) I'm glad to hear you've had success with them....... :D

Thats alway been the problem Reed. You California guys always build the best parts. New Jersey guys will show you how to use them.

Clay Washington 09-27-2004 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by thedonz
now that's what I want to hear......now, my two little friends, are you listening?....I am going to feed you a lot of clean oil and oil filters.......stay healthy will ya......

That's the key. I have 200+ hours on my whipple charged 502. I change the oil every 20 hours. Zero problems! :cool:

thedonz 09-27-2004 10:52 AM

hey Clay Washington how are ya bud(i'm the one that was driveing the dully) how's lake travis doing. i hear it's starting to slow down over there. how r the girls. i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee texas girls gether done

donz jr mike :D :D :D :D

Reed Jensen 09-27-2004 11:00 AM

Thats alway been the problem Reed. You California guys always build the best parts. New Jersey guys will show you how to use them.

roflmao........... yeah............. right............... :D

Jonas 09-27-2004 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
575's turned up innner coolers etc, i got 200hrs on em now,,
i think i will have the top ends and blower redone over winter.
want trouble free boating and think that would be a good idea.
your thoughts?
also what should it cost? :eek:
want it to keep runnin like this,,,, :D

Dave M 09-27-2004 01:03 PM

522ci BBC.....300 plus total hours

300 Hrs = 8 seasons for you? Where do you live? I run 75-100 hrs per season. Gladd to hear you are having good luck with your motor.

robyw1 09-27-2004 02:29 PM

If I built it, it would last 500 hours with no horsepower loss. :)

Roby