Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   cigarette's new 39 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87902-cigarettes-new-39-a.html)

Half Nutz 10-07-2004 06:39 PM

Re: cigarette's new 39

I have re-read this entire post and frankly it is pretty sad. It started out with pictures a boat that everyone agreed was a beautiful piece of hardware. And then turned into a WW bashing melee. And to bring someone wife into the conversation WTF are you thinking????

I usually will stay out of these discussions for I am a pretty mild mannered guy and get along with everyone, but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade.

I have been with Jim and Mary on WW for almost every major poker run they have attended. They have never treated anyone with disrespect or ever talked bad about anyone or there rides. They have never bragged when thay have beat someone, and are the first compliment someone when they passed us.

My wife and I consider Jim and Mary some of our closest friends. I witnessed the tauntings that took place at the LEOPA poker run and frankly they were bull$hit. These are two people who have never hurt anyone or said a cross word to anyone. It is pretty sad when you have a nice boat and certain people (you know who you are) have to be that way. This sport is about fun and being with good friends and it is a shame that a small group of people can turn it into a "grudge run" just because someone else has a fast boat and it doesn't happen to be a Lipship Cigarette!!!

Just to set the record straight, yea I do own a cigarette and happen to like it very much (now:D), But you will never catch me telling someone they can't raft off of me because they don't have a Cig. You will never catch me telling somebody that my boat is better because it is a cig.

This is a sport and should be fun. I have met almost all of my closest friends (including Jim and Mary) because of boating, and I wouldn't have it any other way. This sport has some of the greatest people involved with it and it is a shame that some "I'm better than you" types can ruin it for the good people.

Sorry for the rant, but it was way overdue.

Dan Burtscher

RHC 10-07-2004 07:23 PM

Well said """Half/Nutz"" I agree 100% ,, we all are very lucky to have Jim and Mary as Friends... and ,,, There is no argument as to the Boat!! All boats are not created equal,,, Thank goodness for that. I mean think about it ,, How would u like to be compared to Capt O????

Look forward to seeing all soon ,,, :D :D :D

Roger and Steff

The Menace 10-07-2004 07:55 PM

Dan, quality job on the post. It was time well spent. Still wondering how this post got to this point? Maybe OSO needs another forum so people can fight."for fighters and Bit3hers only". :rolleyes:

I have been on my share of poker runs. I did my first with the LEOPA gang last year and they are first class. I am not one of the most personable person in the world but these guys did everything possible to make a stranger feel at home. I did not meet Jim or Mary but hanging with that group they cannot be bad people.

Let's get back to talking about the 39! :D

BLee 10-07-2004 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor
You should come to Lake Erie sometime. It will be nice for a minute and then eat your boat. It doesn't care that you have the fastest gladiator. It will eat it anyway.
Not swells. Hard, steep, closely spaced chop. Sometimes the patterns make no sense at all.

My boat has twin 260s and OMC drives. My top speed is a little less than half of yours. It cost me one twentieth of what yours cost.
You wouldn't fear my boat.

But fear my lake.

I will honestly agree :) , but it's still a lake. I have been on Lake Michigan and spend LOTS of time on the Atlantic. A huge misconception is that the ocean is like sand dunes and uniform all the time. So not true. The ocean is THE OCEAN. It can be short choppy waves or long fun waves. I completely agree that the Great Lakes get rough as hell, but it's ludacris to imply they can compete with the 2nd biggest body of water in the world.

Yes the Great lakes are very rough and fun as hell, but the ocean is the ocean, period. One or two weekends in the Biscayne Bay a Winter doesn't count.

LEOPAJM 10-07-2004 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by RHC
Well said """Half/Nutz"" I agree 100% ,, we all are very lucky to have Jim and Mary as Friends... :rolleyes: :p

and ,,, There is no argument ... How would u like to be compared to Capt O ???

Rog, ... c'mon, flatery will get you nowhere !?!?!?! :D :drink:

Havasu Cig 10-07-2004 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vern
Wow, all these bravo butt cigarette's claiming to be faster than Wicked Won, yet nobody seems to be able to keep up with him on "lake" water. I wonder why: :rolleyes:

Oh, and the new 39 looks just like an Outerlimits or a Nor-tech, where did the chisled classic offshore look go?

The above post by Vern was the one I thought was out of line, I don't have a problem with WW's post at all. I think OSG was responding to Vern's post as well. My.02

Havasu Cig 10-07-2004 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
I will honestly agree :) , but it's still a lake. I have been on Lake Michigan and spend LOTS of time on the Atlantic. A huge misconception is that the ocean is like sand dunes and uniform all the time. So not true. The ocean is THE OCEAN. It can be short choppy waves or long fun waves. I completely agree that the Great Lakes get rough as hell, but it's ludacris to imply they can compete with the 2nd biggest body of water in the world.

Yes the Great lakes are very rough and fun as hell, but the ocean is the ocean, period. One or two weekends in the Biscayne Bay a Winter doesn't count.

Well put. The Pacific cam be calm one minute and then very nasty the next. I have nothing but respect for the water everytime I venture out into the ocean. :cool:

BLee 10-07-2004 08:18 PM

I've met folks that think the Sarasota run was rough last April. Cmon, I had 3 girls in the boat running 70 mph the whole way, and one friend running damn near 90 in his boat, the WHOLE WAY. It was MAYBE 2-4's with the occasional 5. I heard guys claiming 5-7's. :rolleyes: It's a testosterone thing for some folks, much like the actual top speed of their boats. :eek: :D :D

LEOPAJM 10-07-2004 08:34 PM

Hey guys ... no argument that any BIG body of water must be respected to some extent (lake, ocean, ect...) . People do however tend to underestimate Lake Erie when they've not yet experienced her wrath ... Just ask the OL XXX guys about their last trip here on the North Coast ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

fund razor 10-07-2004 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor
Re-reading it it sounds mean or something. Not my intent. My intent was to say that reading about 1-2 foot waves had me cracking up pretty hard.

But having established that my boat is very definition of cheap and slow, the LEOPA guys have never, ever been anything other than gracious to me.

Twin Step. No argument. That's why I reposted at 5:01 to be clear in both context and intent. I didn't like the way the post sounded. I'm sure that the ocean can be a beyotch. These lakes up here are sneaky though. It's a bad thing to get caught in 8 footers when you are in 6 feet of water. :D

Dan... actually we've spoken, you just wouldn't connect it with the boat.
I didn't mean to dip into LEOPA business, it just seemed like that experience was so far outside my own that fair was fair. Seemed as good a time as any to thank LEOPA for the goodwill I have experienced.

I'll make sure to track you down next season.