Notices

Trailering width restrictions

Old 11-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trailering width restrictions

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Thanks for all the responses. My guess is I will be ok with 8'9" on the boat at its widest point, the trailer will probably still be 8'6".

More interesting from the site above is the trailer length limits, many of them 40 feet. The boat is 43', so the trailer is going to be upwards to 46-48 feet. Makes me wonder how sticky the officers will be on the length.
I don't think they will hassle you about the length unless you are towing it with something that's longer than a Pickup truck, if you tow it with a 40' motorhome they will probably stop you.

Caleb
Old 11-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by eliminator219
Mark
You are one lucky person or you really have a give of Gab. My trailer is 8' 6". Going to a Poker run in Ohio I had the occasion to be stop on the Ohio pike. The Trooper actually measured the boat and found out that my Cat had a inch and a half overhang on each side on the gunnels and he had us go to the next exit and get a special ticket for over size.. Think he had a badge on his underwear also, Gungho!! However, I have pulled the same outfit back and forth to Nevada severial times..But Damm you at 12 feet!!
Les/eliminator219
I was told by a deputy sheriff that you can be wider than legal limit without a permit and have someone who is high on crack, drunk out of their mind, smoking a joint, and you are the one who will be cited for fault in the accident.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have pulled several Skaters up to 32' to AZ and NV from Houston with no problem....The one going to FL I got a permit for, from what I have seen is going west you will have no problems....Going east you might get away with it but I would'nt take the chance
Old 11-03-2004, 12:56 AM
Registered

102" is the law on interstates. Enforcement is subjective. 106-109 might slip through... 12 ft??? 144" is probably going to be a little more than noticable, especially when you're wiping traffic control off the face of any construction jobs. Traffic control can prove to be a little hard on fiberglass.