Notices

Active Thunder Cats

Old 12-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Re: Active Thunder Cats

Originally Posted by expresscat39
Cave, buddy, you know I just went through all of this: $3 to 5,000 tops!!!!

Hatch and trailer will be north of 25g's. Rigging will not be cheap. A TNT, Big Thunder etc would have to rig and wire it to make sure it is right.

Be ready to drop 125-150 g's total or more depending on what is in the cockpit.

Most times on a project like that it is not ONLY the money that gets you. It is the time, aggravation and disappointments.

At the end of the day (hind sight is always 20/20) I should have bit the bullet and purchased a skater or Nortech.

Remember in heavy water there are five factors required in a boat:

Length
Strength
Weight
HP
Mucho Dinero
Express I appreciate your honesty. If you remember I was looking at Express39,s
I know where there is one now for $65,000 complete 1985 no trailer. Myco quoted
me 14000 for trailer. It has 572,sNA.s with arnesons. It is turn key however I did not
fly out to look at it yet. Not to knock Expresses But Bob Morgan said it would throw fiber glass at ya in Big seas. Its a pretty good price though.
Ross Focht Jr quoted 128,000 to build me a new hull only I think its a 38 with a narrower
beam. Another good price but to much for me.

Oh yeah You got a serious example of a express cat. That I would love to have.
I have followed your project from start to finish. Its Awsome.
Im pretty sure I can build this for less then the #,s you are mentioning.
I have everything to build it.
I am fortunate to have the facility's to paint and rig it here.
Maybe Ill just double the budget to be safe.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
I am pretty sure that the white boat is an ACTIVE cat pre Active Thunder. The red boat is an active thunder 32 which as I've been told the bottom of a 32 Skater. I personally think I would go with the 37 what year is it. I believe the 37 is similar to an Express cat.

Yes Thats what Morgan called it Active.

Sorry for the confusion
Old 12-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=10x]Like Expresscat 39 said..... Sometimes it's better to spend a few more $$$ up front, and get something that is proven to work.
Not sayin that you don't know what you're doin, but, be prepared to spend some big $$$, usually twice as much as originally intended, and some serious time and agrivation. This is a very big project, and if it's not done right the first time, you WILL regret you ever started it.
Just mt $.02 from what I've seen in the past.

This is why I posted it here. Please someone slap me upside the head
No seriously I beleave I can build it. Just need time and patience and Money.
Hopefully not to much of the latter.
Gerry
Old 12-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was fully rigged. I allowed 70g's and ended up with 75g's over budget. Like 10X (Frankie) said, you get into a lot of unexpected things.

I know Bob Morgan knows his stuff and any boat, including a skater, MTI and Nortec will through glass at you if you run it long enough and hard enough. Some will just do it faster.

You think you have rough water go to Lake Erie. No boat was built for that washing machine. The west coast of Florida, get out the pontoon boat. A boat would last there forever as long as the salt or a hurricane didn't eat it.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Registered

[You think you have rough water go to Lake Erie. No boat was built for that washing machine. The west coast of Florida, get out the pontoon boat. A boat would last there forever as long as the salt or a hurricane didn't eat it.[/QUOTE]

Dont know about the great lakes but it gets pretty rough offshore. We boat around
block Island RI and Cape Cod, Marthas Vinyard MA. The Ocean can turn fast. If its Nasty I wont run in it. The APBA Races were up here not to long ago Typical Cape Cod seas. Broke alot of boats that year. They haven't been back since.

Heres a transom shot. dont have any cockpit yet.

The $150,000 you got in it isnt including engines and drives and transmissions is it.?
I got a complete boat I am stripping. Everything from trim cylinders
to mounts, pumps. Would it have cost you less if you had a boat you could strip?
Attached Thumbnails Active Thunder Cats-cat3.jpg  
Old 12-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If projects are what you like to do, Than that looks like a good one. But if your in a hurry to drive it and use it than realy think about it first because it will take time. I like projects and I see alot of posibility in that boat. If your into it and have the engines and drives ect that could be a sweet boat when done. I look at it and see like 3 different cool engine hatches in my head. But don't fool yourself that boat will take time.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the asking price on the hull??? I have a friend... and a few otheres that might be interested if you are not going to be interested in it.....

Ernie
Old 12-04-2004, 09:35 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll never get eth $$$ out of it you put into it. Take all yoru extimates adn double them.

When peopel told me that aabout project boats i was like "yeah right, HA!!!, you're on crack"

well i have about 30-35k if not more into my single engine 27' project scarab with a bravo and pretty small (550hp) power. I cna tell you it not worth anywher enear that.

Projects add up SUPERFAST especially if you aren't doign the work yourself. If you coudl do it yourself and have a year or more before you wnat to go boating i'd say go for it.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why was it unrigged?

My hesitation would be in not knowing if the hull will work properly when it's done. Can you find another one to take a ride in? Does it lean in or out in turns?

If I was going to buy an unknown hull, I'd like to take a ride in one just to know if I would like the final product when it's complete.

Did you see the brand new 32' Spectre hull? How about the 36?
http://www.spectrepowerboats.com/
Good luck!!
Old 12-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet ..do that thing up

Quick Reply: Active Thunder Cats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.