Engine Harness Adapter Needed

Notices

Engine Harness Adapter Needed

Old 04-20-2005, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine Harness Adapter Needed

Poorsche,

Is it the bracket that holds the connector to the shift bracket? If this is what you need, today is your lucky day ... I have two of them off my 311 in my storage.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
I have seen motors with the Harness coming in from the back of the motor ...how is that done ? just buy a longer Harness ? sure looks better than the Harness crossing both motors .....

OTF,

The older Formulas (311, ect.) had harnesses that connect in the front of the motor on the starboard side. The newer Formulas (382, etc) have harnesses that connect in the rear. The harnesses are differrent. I just changed from my old harnesses that were in my 311 to the newer correct harness for my 382. (I bought the 382 without power and had used my old 311 engine harnesses when I first installed them).

The brackets and harnesses are not cheap, but they do look much cleaner. I don't know if the dash harness in your 311 would be long enough to reach to the rear of the motors.

RD
Old 04-21-2005, 04:37 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

so the engine Harness is different but harness from dash to the motors are the same ?

Seems you would just need a longer dash Harness ...and I think thats a merc part ? So you prob can order different lengths ....
Old 04-21-2005, 05:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
so the engine Harness is different but harness from dash to the motors are the same ?

Seems you would just need a longer dash Harness ...and I think thats a merc part ? So you prob can order different lengths ....

Yes, these are Mercury parts (meaning they are not cheap).

The old and new engine harnesses are different. The new ones have knock sensors and ignition module feeds in them. I opened the wrap and removed all the unnecessary wires and rewrapped them. I like to keep things simple so if I breakdown somewhere on the water, there is less spaghetti to sort through.

I'll look at my old harnesses to be sure, but I believe the dash harnesses are the same. They would obviously need to be longer to reach the back of the motors. They should be ten pin with two larger ones (+/ground) and eight smaller ones for guage functions.

I'll check my receipts, but I think the engine harness (#23 above) are about $180 each, the rear mounting brackets (#1 above) are about $120 each. The b**** is the deck (dash) harness in the length you would need is about $400.

Last edited by RedDog382; 04-21-2005 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my Formula SR357 there is an engine harness, engine to dash harness and dash/instrument harness. The engine to dash harness has a round connector on engine end and rectangular connector on dash end. The dash/instrument harness has matinfg rectangular plug on one end and individual instrument connectos on other end. The connectors probably cost as much as the entire harness and they take a special crimper to make up properly it looks like.

THere are a couple of places here that sell those harness by the pound--like hamburger--they get them from manufacturers as excess or overruns