Default Re: 10% ethanol fuel

Another

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...hlight=ethanol
Old 07-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
I will chime in here with my 2 cents. I live in oklahoma and we don't have ethanol. I have a stock 502 efi. I went to iowa and filled up with the ethanol gas and when I went to plane a full throttle it would cough and spit. I have NEVER had a problem with this motor in 6 years. I changed the fuel filter and it was fine for about 4 hours and did the same thing. I went through 3 filters before it got back to normal. No more ethanol gas for me, if I have a choice.
I'm fairly confident that you got a bad tank of gas, the fuel/water separator worked until it was full of water thus you needed to replace it again. Just a coincidence in my opinion....
Old 07-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Registered

Yea, it's probably just a coincidence that his first batch of bad gas ever happened to have ethanol in it.

How can you be confident of that all the way from Phoenix to Iowa? Farmer's intuition? Is everyone on OSO a farmer?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Registered

Complaints about Ethanol Plant in St. Paul MN.

"The EPA concluded that "most if not all" ethanol plants are emitting air pollutants at many times the rate allowed by their permits."

"They found high levels of carbon monoxide, as well as what are known as Volatile Organic Compounds or VOCs. VOCs included formaldehyde and acetaldehyde, both of which are known to cause cancer in animals."

WORK CITED:
http://news.minnesota.publicradio.or...surem_ethanol/
Old 07-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Registered

Common, Not every person is NY or Phoenix is Changing filters like he did. You just have a hard on against ethanol. this isn't a perfect world, bad gas does happen!!! I'm sure he went to a station he's never been at so how can you predict his problem was ethanol???? I not saying ethanol is great for motors but can't atest to it being bad either.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Registered

And here it is right from the Mercury Manual:

"We do not recommend the use of gasoline which contains alcohol because of the possible adverse effect the alcohol may have on the fuel system. In general, gasoline containing alcohol may cause the following problem to your outboard and fuel system:

corrosion of metal parts
deterioration of elastomers and plastic parts
wear and damage of internal engine parts
starting and operating difficulties
vapor lock or fuel starvation

Some of these adverse effects are due to the tendency of gasoline containing alcohol to absorb moisture from the air, resulting in a phase of water and alcohol which separates from gasoline in the fuel tank.

The adverse effects are more severe with methanol and are worse with increasing content of alcohol."

WORK CITED:
http://www.ethanolrfa.org/objects/pdf/2003marine.pdf

Last edited by at100plus; 11-27-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Registered

You win..

Everybody Ethanol is on the way boating will soon be history, get rid of your boats before its to late!!!

Shop for sale cheap soon to go out of business because of ethanol....
Old 07-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Registered

There will always be horror stories about anything in our industry!!! Look up oil threads I'm sure there are oils out there that people gaurranty blew there motor. I believe your posts that the gas isn't good for your motors, but there are alot more boaters that have had no problems with the gas then boaters that have had problems (if you can understand that ) Then the people that have had problems can't honnestly say it was or wasn't the gas!!! Maybe it was maybe it wasn't, its here to stay for now!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Registered

most important (and most astonishing), it may take more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than it actually contains.

The greens, hawks, and farmers helped convince the Senate to add an ethanol provision to the energy bill—now awaiting action by a House-Senate conference committee—that would require refiners to more than double their use of ethanol to 8 billion gallons per year by 2012. The provision is the latest installment of the ethanol subsidy, a handout that has cost American taxpayers billions of dollars during the last three decades, with little to show for it. It also shovels yet more federal cash on the single most subsidized crop in America, corn. Between 1995 and 2003, federal corn subsidies totaled $37.3 billion.

The two scientists calculated all the fuel inputs for ethanol production—from the diesel fuel for the tractor planting the corn, to the fertilizer put in the field, to the energy needed at the processing plant—and found that ethanol is a net energy-loser. According to their calculations, ethanol contains about 76,000 BTUs per gallon, but producing that ethanol from corn takes about 98,000 BTUs. For comparison, a gallon of gasoline contains about 116,000 BTUs per gallon. But making that gallon of gas—from drilling the well, to transportation, through refining—requires around 22,000 BTUs.

Adding more ethanol will also increase the complexity of America's refining infrastructure, which is already straining to meet demand, thus raising pump prices. Ethanol must be blended with gasoline. But ethanol absorbs water. Gasoline doesn't. Therefore, ethanol cannot be shipped by regular petroleum pipelines. Instead, it must be segregated from other motor fuels and shipped by truck, rail car, or barge. Those shipping methods are far more expensive than pipelines.

There's another problem: Ethanol, when mixed with gasoline, causes the mixture to evaporate very quickly. That forces refiners to dramatically alter their gasoline to compensate for the ethanol. (Throughout the year, refiners adjust the vapor pressure of their fuel to compensate for the change in air temperature. In summer, you want gasoline to evaporate slowly. In winter, you want it to evaporate quickly.) In a report released last month, the GAO underscored the evaporative problems posed by ethanol, saying that compensating for ethanol forces refiners to remove certain liquids from their gasoline: "Removing these components and reprocessing them or diverting them to other products increases the cost of making ethanol-blended gasoline."

There's a final point to be raised about ethanol: It contains only about two-thirds as much energy as gasoline. Thus, when it gets blended with regular gasoline, it lowers the heat content of the fuel. So, while a gallon of ethanol-blended gas may cost the same as regular gasoline, it won't take you as far.

What frustrates critics is that there are sensible ways to reduce our motor-fuel use and bolster renewable energy—they just don't help the corn lobby. Patzek points out that if we channeled the billions spent on ethanol into fuel-efficient cars and solar cells, "That would give us so much more bang for the buck that it's a no-brainer.

Full Article:
http://slate.msn.com/id/2122961/fr/rss/#ContinueArticle

Quick Reply: 10% ethanol fuel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.