Help Please~bravo / Engine Alignment

Notices

Help Please~bravo / Engine Alignment

Old 08-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please~bravo / Engine Alignment

HELP PLEASE~BRAVO / ENGINE ALIGNMENT
I have a Formula F-311. 454 Magnums and Bravo Drives.
I have the alignment tool. I have read the threads Re: this issue.
1) I grease the smallest shaft diameter ( tip ) and insert the tool, withdraw slowly and look for where the splines mark the grease.
2) I understand that if the top is marked, the engine is too high.. and if the bottom has the spline marks in the grease,
vice versa...
3) Here's the problem I encountered ..

- After all kinds of funky alignment issues... I discovered that the bushings in the rear of the bell housing were not even with each other.. In other words, I found the metal center of one bushing nearly flush with the top of the bell housing, the other was lower by about 3/16ths of an inch.
This caused my engine to rock diagonally. After I discovered this I was able to even the distance of the bushings from the top of the bell housing so that they were both approx. 1/8 in below the surface of the top. This corrected the diagonal rocking of the engine.

Now finally the question .. I can insert the alignment tool about 80% of the travel within the hub splines, and withdraw it easily. (this is the area where the splines of the drive shaft ride within.) The last 20% appears to be virgin area spline that has never seen any wear since the splines of the outdrive don't reach that far within. At this point the alignment tool travels left and settles in. I have not tried to rotate the crank
to see if this problem follows a new location, but is this normal? I have read other threads and they all read... " When it's right you can just feel it.." I have been at this for 6 hours... It ain't felt right yet... ( if you know what I mean..)
Anybody got any insight on this???
I really appreciate any other thoughts...

Last edited by QUIKDECISION; 08-07-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Registered

Default Re: Help Please~bravo / Engine Alignment

You should probably find out what the proper depth is for the bushings.When I replace a gimbal bearing and the alignment tool doesn't go all the way in I tap the tool around in diferent directions to align gimbal bearing the coupler.Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply... What Bushings are you talking about?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Registered

The bushings I was refering to are the ones in the bellhousing that rests on the inner transom plate.Unless I misunderstood those are the bushings you said were uneven.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Registered

ok this maybe very simple how old is your coupler and are u using the merc tool or an after market too... the merc tool does not go in as far as the glm or sierra tool.... next if using an old coupler u probably have dirt and old grease in the front (closest to the motor) of it or maybe even metal shavings if the coupler or shaft are worn right there could be you problem ! short of that I would have to say if you have spent 6 hours on it take it to a tech that has done it a few hundred times!!!
Attached Thumbnails Help Please~bravo / Engine Alignment-42pr2.jpg