BW 72C Tranny Noises >

BW 72C Tranny Noises

Notices

BW 72C Tranny Noises

Old 09-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BW 72C Tranny Noises

I've got TRS drives and BW 72C tranny's Had the engine compartment open the other day while backing into a slip and the "whining" noise from the the tannys was more noticeable than I remembered--in fact one of them was noisier than the other but both were whining.

Is that typical? What am I in for? Any short term "cures"?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: BW 72C Tranny Noises

They do whine in reverse, that is normal. If the whining is louder, not sure what that could be. How long has it been since you checked / changed the tranny fluid?

What you are in for if it blows is an engine / tranny removal and rebuild. I've seen rebuild prices alone from $500-1000 bucks, not including getting everything out and back in.

Of course if the motor hasn't been out in a long time, you make take the opportunity to change your oil pan / timing cover if they look bad, maybe an alternator rebuild /upgrade...how about a starter rebuild...hmmm....maybe some exhausts...hmm...let's rebuild the heads too, and can't put them back on with those crappy old valve covers...yep..replace that water pump while it's nice and easy to get to....sheet...might as well top it off with a nice fresh carb setup...HEY...WHERE THE HELL DID ALL MY MONEY GO???
Old 09-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Registered

Default Re: BW 72C Tranny Noises

LOL--Been there/done all that. It is amazing how fast BOAT works. For what I'v "inversted" in the old bird I cudda bought a new boaght and been money ahead--but then I wouldn't have my sanity either.