A little advice

Notices

A little advice

Old 02-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A little advice

Welcome to OSO! The Liberators had the option of OMC or Merc, but the merc option was a lot more. Therefore many opted for the up and coming cobra setup.
My project is an 89 liberator 241 with twin omc 350 king cobras, also got for next to nothing but...... I have already replaced the transom, stringers, bulkhead, and floor, the engine blocks are at the machine shop getting ready for new guts, and the upholstery shop is ordering vinyl and carpet as we speak.
So if you have 1/2 this work to do or less you will be alright!! the liberators are a great rough water boat, just a little heavy.
sorry can't predict your speed, I would guess around 60+ with the right prop.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! Another 211 Liberator!
I've got an 88 with a 383 stroker, and an OMC drive. With a 21" OMC Viper prop, I'm seeing 60 with Just me, and 1/2 tank of gas (approx 25 gals.). I'm upgrading my cam this year, it's limiting my RPM. From what I remember, the Fourwinns line came with merc power up till about 86, 87 until they joined forces with OMC. Then they started putting Cobras on them.
The Liberator is a great rough water boat for it's size, and loves to get air. It's a fun ride. Yes, it's a bit heavy, but with the stroker in it you'd never know it. Mine always got on plane rather quickly for it's weight, but I'm always careful not to stand on the throttle when coming on to plane (I want my drive to live!). The addition of trim tabs got me on plane quicker with less effort on the engine's part. They don't do anything for me on the top end, but I never really needed them up there anyway. I recommend getting them. Just make sure that BEFORE you put the drive back on, you check the shift cable, and have it adjusted. Make sure you get a guy who knows what he's doing. There are two small fixtures used to adjust the cable. With them, one guy can do the job in about 10 minutes. If you can't get the fixtures, there is a procedure in the service manual, but you'll need two guys. Part of the procedure is to make sure the cable moves easily, there is a spec in the book for the required amount of pull to make the cable move. Don't skip this step! It affects the operation of the shift assist switch. An improperly adjusted cable will be the death of your Cobra drive.
(Not that I'm trying to scare you or anything). Enjoy the boat!

Paul
Old 02-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

A friend of mine had an 89 211. Bought it brand new. Small block Cobra engine and drive. Put a different cam and intake on it . It ran right around 60mph. Fun boat, handled great. Too bad it got totalled. We got T-Boned at about 45mph by a 24ft. Crownline. Dove off the boat at the last minute! Scared the crap out of us. Driver of the Crownline said he didn't see us because the sun was in his eyes.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have similar boat. 21 baja with 330 454 alpha. Did honest 72Mph. I think about 55- 60 is tops for you. The torque of the big motor not the horsepower, really is what makes it go. BBB
Old 02-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh , Got to get rid of that boat soon, If anyone is interested. Motor is coming out due to a Knock. It's a very custom hull.
Maybe I'll put it in classifieds. Just wanted to see If anyone local wants it. CHEAP FUN ! But not as great as my 24' Formula BBB