Old Style Windshield Replacement >

Old Style Windshield Replacement

Notices

Old Style Windshield Replacement

Old 03-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Style Windshield Replacement

My boat is an older 30 Velocity that came with the 4 piece windshield that slips together like was used back in the 70 and 80's. Its too high for my likes and am thinking of the best way (cheapest and easiest} to replace it with something lower. Anyone tried changing something like this? Any pictures?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Registered

Default Re: Old Style Windshield Replacement

Hey, how 'bout some input. Nobody done this before?
Old 03-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking for the same thing... I read some months ago; there is a guy on here (from Florida somewhere) who makes windshields out of some type of lexan. He was giving prices around the $500 range. Can't find that thread to save my life. Other people saying to go to any plastics shop and get one made.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered

Question Re: Old Style Windshield Replacement

I am also wanting to give this a try let me know what you find if anything.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Registered

Finneys.com Try them ,cool site.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Registered

Heres the problem I'm dealing with. I can't get to the bolts holding the old windshield in place without going through the headliner in the cabin and a few on the deck are going to take surgery to get to. I'm thinking about removing the existing glass, cutting the frame (in place) to the shorter height and using plexi or lexan. The portion of the windshield bolted to the deck would remain there and serve as a base or foundation for the new one. Any ideas other than "forget about it"?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Registered

I chopped the windshield on my 25 Magnum several years ago. The frame was a welded version with tempered front glass. I was able to remove the whole thing first though. While still on the boat I established where I wanted the top rails to go. After removal, I cut off the top rails on both the front and sides. I replaced them with new rails from American Marine all welded into place. Got new tempered glass and seals, reinstalled and never looked back. Cost if memory still works (lol) was $300-400.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Registered

Boatnuts, since I can't remove the old frame, I'm considering cutting the top rails off, discarding the old glass, cutting the corner and front uprights to the corect height, and putting either plexi or lexan in the origional glass chanels, using 5200 or somethink like that to bond in place. Whatta ya think the chances of that working and being stable?

Alternative idea is to cut the old frame off, including the upright pieces, leaving only the base attached. Then simply screwing the new panels to the outside edge of the origional frame. I'd need corner and front pieces made from aluminum to join the panels into 1 piece overall.

Ideas? Or shud I get a cushion and sit up higher and for get about it.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Registered

Hi
You haven't said whether you have a welded or a screwed and jointed frame. If it is welded you are going to have to find an aluminum welder to rejoint the corners. It could be done on the boat, just a lot more awkward for the guy welding as well as a little messy grinding the welds smooth. If it is screwed and joionted on the corners it should be a piece of cake. In so far as plexiglass or lexan, both scratch far easier than glass and quite possibly could cost more. On mine the tempered glass was quite reasonable. I wouldn't entertain some aborted bubble gum type replacement top rail as you have suggested.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 498 Likes on 273 Posts

Tempered glass is quite inexpensive in flat pieces, go to a local commercial glass shop and they should be able to help you out with that part.