Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk? >

MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?

Notices

MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?

Old 04-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?

I mounted mine to a large piece of alum angle back on the transom. away from heat and water. I do have a problem with the stock merc rotor comming loose . I buy new every year locktite them on like the manual says and they shake them selves loose. I can tell when they are loose the tack goes wackie. Thinking about MSD dist.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 2112
Kaama,

Any trouble with mounting the ignition directly on the bellhousing? THe Crane manual advises not to. I have done it and wondered if I was just lucky not to have trouble.
I must be lucky too because so far I have 50 hours on my Crane boxes mounted this way---no problems yet and I guess we'll find out.

I'm not sure if it helps or not, but the boxes are mounted on rubber mounts. Also, I have Harwood engine hatch scoops that are constantly introducing cool air into the engine compartment.
Attached Thumbnails MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?-lilly-023.jpg  

Last edited by KAAMA; 04-30-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen to many MSD failures to put them in my boat.
Merc T-bolt distributor and Ford DG-3 50,000 volt coil work just fine
Have been tossing around the Crane idea though. So far I haven't heard anything bad.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thumbs up Re: MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?

merc ignition v6 module and to keep plugs clean msd blue 6al box
Old 04-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Like I posted earlier,I have a msd 6btm box thats been on my boat since 01 with no problems. Unlike some who think it does nothing over a stock ignition,it does multi- spark with more power than stock under 3000rpm's and cleaned up a sputtery idle/rich idle and fires all the extra fuel mixture being shoved into motor under boost and extreme conditions. Is it as reliable as a stock system, I highly doubt it. If I had a bone stock 502 I wouldn't waste my money,it would offer nothing other than one more thing to break. Would I run a bone stock factory ignition on a 950 hp blower motor like what I have ,no way.
These failures in a marine enviroment,are they regular 6al's or marine versions? It has got to be vibration and shock loosening things up inside the box or something. I have bought and ran 6al boxes on at least 20 different street vehicles and circle track cars that I have owned or built for others with no failures. Old Navy on here put a non-marine 6al on his old jet boat (before his 28 ft check) and it didn't last a year. It was mounted to the motor though.You can see it in this pic. Mine is mounted on shock mounts on the gunnell of to my stbd side.Anyone that had one fail that reads this that already posted re-post and tell us where it was mounted. I believe you guys are having them fail,I just wonder if its shock and vibration or poor quality control when they were built,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?-mvc-007l.jpg  

Last edited by articfriends; 04-30-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Registered

I have been through MANY MSD failures and spoke with MSD about the problems with the MARINE box and was finally told to install P/N 8830 on all MARINE boxes and I have yet to have a failure since using this part on the boxes.
If you buy a CRANE HI-6M it will come with a filter from the factory, so if you buy a CRANE MARINE box don't discard this part (USE IT).
This is a voltage CAP and it absorbs the voltage spikes that boats usually produce from having bad grounds and connections. Not to mention all the pounding that agitates this problem.
Hope this helps!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:35 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my boat wouldn't start yesterday morning, and my wife was bringing 3 of her girlfriends, talk about a major crisis

Tach wasn't moving when cranking so I went to the MSD box. Good power and ground, good ignition signal. So I hooked up my old msd box and it fired right up.

Got to looking at the pins in the 6 pin weather pac connector thinking that one might have slid back and instead saw that they were all corroded!WTF.

Cleaned all the pins best I could then greased them with di-electric grease and reinstalled the origional 6M2 box and it fired right up.

I used weather pac connectors every where I could when I re-rigged the boat thinking they were the best. This week I will be disasembleing all of them for cleaning and di-electric grease.

I only got religious about di-electric grease in the past two years and use it everywhere, never thought about the weather pacs.

Took about an hour for me and my buddy to figure it out and fix it. I wonder how many more MSD problems are due to this issue

Went boating and had a great time, even saw some tities.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wobble,
Pics are required in this situation! And not of the weather packs...
Old 05-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Wobble,
Pics are required in this situation! And not of the weather packs...
Agreed!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Registered

I just bought a new boat . Full msd system previously installed. How much advance should come from the 6-m box ?

Quick Reply: MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.