Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk? >

MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?

Notices

MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?

Old 04-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?

Does anyone here have problems with their MSD ignition systems? After 1-2 years I normally start having problems with my MSD system. Sometimes it’s the distributor that needs to be replaced (the whole thing). Then another thing I have noticed for the marine systems is the ignition box seems to fail every so often as well. For example I have replaced both of these parts twice since first installed in 98. Is this just because it’s on a boat or is it MSD issues?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?

1-2 years sounds about right for the boxes in a marine environment.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about like a CraneCams ignition systems?
Old 04-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant answer that, never went to it because the Merc Tbolt IV is about as reliable as anything gets.
What's the reason you need a different ignition?
Old 04-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 784 Likes on 363 Posts

I have heard of all these msd problems but have never had a 6 box fail and have used them on every thing I have built for past 20 years (probably 15 or 20 different boxes).My msd btm 6 version has been on my boat for over 300 hours and 5 or 6 years with no problems. Steve xsm says they barely last a race but I have had them on circle track cars that we ran for 2 or 3 full seasons and took off and even put on something else. I had 7 box that I bought used that would work intermittently. My msd billet distributer was rotting apart internal after 3 seasons(connections were corroded and crumbling) but my stock merc 502 mpi distributer was too. I cleaned it up,clear coated the rotor and put a new pickup in it fairly cheap. I think water drips off my sun pad directly on it or something,Smitty
Old 04-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Junk. I'm Gonna go with the merc ignition. This is my distibutor after one year. Also the havoc the rust cause. Back fire = blown head gasket.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=127210
Old 04-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

You can have an MSD distributor rebuilt like brand new for $75. That's getting a brand new distributor for almost the cost of a new cap & rotor! I DO use an MSD Crank Trigger system without relying on the magnetic pick-up from within the distributor---works great for me!

I'm using the Crane M-6 ignition box w/ their PS92 coil. I have had them for 6 years without trouble----one of the boxes was even doused with several gallons of high pressure water the first year----and it STILL is working today!

Here's the address to MSD if you want to send your distributor in and have it come back like brand new...

MSD Ignition Ph: (915) 857-5200
Attn: Repair Dept.
12120 Esther Lama Dr.
Dock #5
Elpaso, TX 79936
Attached Thumbnails MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?-rebuiltmsd.jpg  

Last edited by KAAMA; 04-28-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

I really dont think its very fair to MSD to be calling thier product junk. They are on almost every race car on the planet, and many boats as well. Considering how many units they have in service, and the environment that they run in, I think the failure rate is pretty small.

Just my opinion,
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 04-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not true. MSD is junk when it comes to so called marine products.

I don't doubt they make a good street product but marine is JUNK from MSD.

trust me after all the money I'm spending to go thru a 800 hp milkshake. You'd be saying they were junk too!

Regards Phil
Old 04-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ive never had msd dist or 6a fail on me, i had an msd distrubutor in a jeep of mine that would run even when submerged, i put a bead of silacone around the inside of the dist cap then put it on the dist and let it dry 24 hours before running it. i also use msd spark guard on the dist end and spark plug ends of the ignition wire rubber ends to make those connections water proof. im running crane hi 6 boxes right now cuz they will interact with my knock sensors, but ive had one of my hi six boxes get wet and rev limit that engine to 3k rpms until it dries out i put some electrical tape over the little timing adjustment knobs until i send it back to crane to be gone through.

Quick Reply: MSD Marine ignition problems!!!!!! MSD = total junk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.