496 Ho Impeller Shot? >

496 Ho Impeller Shot?

Notices

496 Ho Impeller Shot?

Old 05-14-2006, 01:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 Ho Impeller Shot?

After leaving Newport and getting to Catalina for lunch, then to Dana Point and back to Newport to leave the boat ran great. Once I got home to flush the engine.......problems. I hooked up the ear muffs and opened up the hose and started the engine. I was washing the boat and I walked around to the back of boat (minute later) and no water circulating. The next second passes I hear the buzzer sound and I turned the engien off. The temp was 190!! I don't get it. I have always gotten very good water circulating the boat while flushing, but nothing this afternoon after running it fine all day. Did I just get lucky and make it back home in time, or is their a problem with the impeller?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Registered

Default Re: 496 Ho Impeller Shot?

could be impeller could be a colapsed hose, ect...... either put on diagnostic computer and check water press or pull impeller and check it, more then likley its the impeller
Old 05-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bolts21
After leaving Newport and getting to Catalina for lunch, then to Dana Point and back to Newport to leave the boat ran great. Once I got home to flush the engine.......problems. I hooked up the ear muffs and opened up the hose and started the engine. I was washing the boat and I walked around to the back of boat (minute later) and no water circulating. The next second passes I hear the buzzer sound and I turned the engien off. The temp was 190!! I don't get it. I have always gotten very good water circulating the boat while flushing, but nothing this afternoon after running it fine all day. Did I just get lucky and make it back home in time, or is their a problem with the impeller?
Do you have a dual water pickup drive? If so, you need to block off/ tape or whatever the lower pickup when flushing
Old 05-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Registered

It's a bravo I, so I think I do! Not a big motor head , but could someone respond please. Also, do I tape off and try and re start or do I take into get impeller checked from the engine getting up to 190? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Bolts21]It's a bravo I, so I think I do! Not a big motor head , but could someone respond please. Also, do I tape off and try and re start or do I take into get impeller checked from the engine getting up to 190? Thanks.[/QUOt the impeller is probably shot, bring it in and get it checked out, there's another thread in this section about the same subject, what year is your boat/drive?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Registered

It's a 2001 29' Warlock World Class...drive same year 164 hours.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 AM
Registered

You have to be really careful when running on a hose, just a moment without water and the impeller tears itself apart.... I've seen so many people kill the impeller from trying to run on a hose.... As stated, collapsed hose from impeller trying to suck more water than is available, as rpm's increase the more water it wants to suck, so don't run up the rpm's... not taping off drive water pickups allows pump to suck air, reduces suction of water and allows water loss........ If you have time, it's a fairly easy fix and about 30 bucks for a new impeller.... hardest part in my opinion is getting the new impeller into the housing..... lot's of lube makes it easier to get in and allows it to spin freely upon first start up..... Good luck!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:21 AM
Registered

I agree 100 % with east coast and yes it does help to put a piece of tape over the low water pick up
Old 05-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Registered

GoodT, does it make better sense to get a flush kit installed, or does a good set of muffs suffice? I use the boat 75% of the time in salt water. Is there any negatives with a "flush pro" device? I've heard it doesn't flush the drive well. Thanks.