impeller housing question for 496 >

impeller housing question for 496

Notices

impeller housing question for 496

Old 04-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default impeller housing question for 496

I started the boat for the first time since fall the other day- just idled a bit in the lake, smelled rubber, hand to the starboard impeller housing confirmed that was it.

Removed it to change today- the brass housings are new to me- used to the plastic housing which usually get blistered when an impeller gets wasted, especially if dry.

Well, each end face appears to have wear from the rubber hub of the impeller, roughly .050 deep circle, 1/4" from id to od in a radial direction.

Question is will the pump live and work like this or do I just buy new- I can see it going either way- the impeller should seal it, any tech's with experience with this particular housing?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Registered

There have been lots of threads saying that once the housing is scored and impeller replaced you may have problems running on the hose or have overheating problems. There is a company that makes a rebuild kit with shims that fix a scored housing, sorry dont remember the name though...
Old 04-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Registered

R&R Products out of AZ is the company that Chris is talking about. 928-453-6411. It is basically a stainless insert for each end of the pump housing. with spacers and gaskets to make it all work. Little bit of grinding on the bracket. Works good. Ran it the second half of last year.
Attached Thumbnails impeller housing question for 496-water-pump-instructions-compressed.jpg   impeller housing question for 496-water-pump-instuctions-2-compressed.jpg  
Old 04-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The housings work just fine with the grooves, don't waste your money on new ones. It will take a couple of hours for the new impeller to bed in but it will work fine. When you install it don't try running it with the flush attachment put the boat in the water and test it that way. The new impeller won't have good suction until it has seated in the housing for a few hours of running. PM me if you need more info.