Notices

my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Old 08-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Originally Posted by articfriends
My understanding is other than small changes from propellor effieciency the boat should go exactly same speed with a 30 pitch prop at 6000 engine rpm's w 1.50 ratio as it would at 6000 rpm's with a 27 1/4 pitch w 1.35 ratio. How much the load would change I'm not sure.If you take my peak tq of 960 ft lbs X 1.18 (19 div by 16 for the top gear ratio) you would have 1132 ft lbs of twist on the lower pinion gear teeth no matter what ratio you had after that except load theoretically should be about 15% less but once you factor in the fact the prop will be turning 15% faster the load should be the same,but this is all just using the W.A.G method . If anything I would figure the prop shaft would have 15% less twist acting on it,but Ive never twisted one off so it would be a moot point. I do know this though,with these forged,beveled tooth non helical gear sets you pretty much only have one tooth contacting another at anyone time so I'm thinking thats where the problem lies. Strip brought this up a long time ago and it makes sense,aside from deflection that could be occuring,there is just 1 little tooth at any given time transmitting over 1000ft lbs of multiplied tq so it seems for it to last it would take the very best alloy and heat treating or surface conditioning,Smitty

Smitty here is some info I got from Hustler . A 388 Hustler with 500efi 1.50 gear turns 5250-5300rpm 30 pitch bravo 4 blade doing about 85-86MPH. They told me the same boat with a 1.35 gear ratio proped [26 or 28] to turn the same RPM is slower .Hustler said the 1.50 was faster. I guess it has to do with TQ mutibles and/or like Brett at B Blades said the 30 pitch 4bl bravo was the most efficient pitch in the bravo line .

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 1.35 gear will spin the prop faster so you will lose some hp to the water due to more friction. It will reduce the load on the gears by about 10% by allowing the use of a lower pitch prop. Or you can just pump up the hp by 10 %.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
A 1.35 gear will spin the prop faster so you will lose some hp to the water due to more friction. It will reduce the load on the gears by about 10% by allowing the use of a lower pitch prop. Or you can just pump up the hp by 10 %.

Boost

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Sent a set of gears out to be treated and finished with a different method,We'll see what that does. Ran boat with the 1" drive spacer yesterday,airs bow out nice again,cavitation is gone,porpoising is gone. Hard to believe 1" could make such a difference on a boat that has such a deep propcenterline to hull dimension to start with. Will see how boat handles in rough water and if top end is back soon and post,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 09-20-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear Smitty!! Glad the spacer helped.. !! Keep us posted on the gear thing.

Dick
Old 09-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want metallurgy info check out pirates 4x4 site.

I believe the best gear treatment would be thru hardened-then induction hardened.

I'm not sure if you can do it to that kind of metal.

4340 would be superior. 300m even better. 300m is what the F1 (cars) teams are using in the gearboxes.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:08 AM
Registered

Hey Smitty,
This has been a great thread and I am cheering for ya.
I wanted to ask you where you picked up the spacer for the drive?
Dwight
Old 09-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Whitey
Hey Smitty,
This has been a great thread and I am cheering for ya.
I wanted to ask you where you picked up the spacer for the drive?
Dwight
I bought the drive spacer from Trick maine,it was sent directly from the manufacturer Everett performance/zeiger in ohio. It was a nice piece but had to be custom machined because of the max machine worx tower base in the upper. I had that done locally. The latest set of lower gears have about 7 hours of run time on them with no metal in the oil. The true test will be after I beat on it this weekend at hardy pond though,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 09-20-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Good luck Smitty!!!

If you get a chance, still interested in your build sheet.

I also had a question, I bought new 55# injectors, what do you think they are good for HP wise with the M-3?

Maybe I should go larger?
Kurt,looking at marrens injector calculator your 55lb injectors will support 586hp at 80% duty cycle,.6 bsfc (common number on supercharged motors) and 43.5psi. Now increase your fuel supply pressure with a boost referencing regulator and sufficent fuel pump to 70 psi under boost your injectors new flow rating is 69.7 lbs per hour which will support 750hp at a safe bsfc like .6. If you can get 75 psi under boost they will flow 72.2lbs per hour which will support 770hp. If you run your motor at a slightly lower bsfc or open duty cyle up a little bit further past 80% you could support even more hp so you will probably be ok for what you are building. Make sure your new injectors are high impedance so they will work with your mefi computer. Here is a link on the subject if you want to play with different pressures,bsfc and sizes,Smitty
http://www.injector.com/injectorselection.php
http://www.csgnetwork.com/fiflowcalc.html
Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info Smitty. I need a 2 inch spacer and am looking around for one. I am just not ready to buy it new....yet.
Are you staying at Brower?
We are heading there on Friday. Hope to see ya there Dwight

Quick Reply: my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.