Outdrive help >

Outdrive help

Notices

Outdrive help

Old 05-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Outdrive help

I was running along at 3/4 throttle when I heard a loud "klunk" "thud". I immediatly shut it down, after starting again and running out of gear at idle its still made a thumping noise (like when your cats climbs in the dryer). I went to put it in gear and I think the drive locked up and killed the engine. I took it real easy on the drive not running it hard all day. After inspection of the outdrive on the trailer all looks normal. There is no physical damage. The prop spins freely out of gear by hand and when in forward gear it will spin in the forward direction (clockwise) but not counter clockwise. So here is the question...How much am I looking at?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Outdrive help

Universals/gimble housing/bell housing: any or all of that. DO NOT GO FOR ANOTHER RIDE! The situation will only get worse. Pull the outdrive and do the inspection from there. (Toward front first, then aft) The dollars will depend on the extent of the destruction. (but if you ran that cat in the dryer too long, it WILL be costly) --- Jer
Old 05-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Registered

Thanks Jer..Is this something a "somewhat" mechanicaly inclinded person can do? Pulling the outdrive that is...It would have to be done in the drive way cuz I live in town. Or is out drive repair fairly common. Im not too trusting of my marina mech. but he has all kinds of merc. certificates on his walls
Old 05-28-2006, 11:10 PM
MOP
Registered

Getting the drive off is easy but once loose it gets heavy and can turn into a balancing act, it is good to have buddy help even better is to have some thing to lift and move it around on.

Phil
Old 05-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I do my own in my drive way,I bought a jack but for a one time shot just have a buddie help you wrestle it on and off,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Outdrive help-oil-lines-027.jpg  
Old 05-29-2006, 02:35 AM
Registered

It is not hard to pull the drive but even if you do you wont know where to go from there, after building drives for 25 yrs you wounldt believe how many drives people bring me in boxes because they "thought they could do it" half the time the drive is in worse shape from people trying to take it apart with Mcguyver type tools.....

if you want it done right so that you can take the boat out with no worries take it to someone familiar with you type drive and boat set up, most importantly shop around and find a tech that you trust ask people for referrals for the best guy around dont look for the cheapest look for the best ( usually ends up being cheaper in the long run )

Best of luck
Old 05-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Registered

GOODT, thanks for the insight...is their anyone you would recommend near the lake Anna area?
Old 05-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 99fever27
GOODT, thanks for the insight...is their anyone you would recommend near the lake Anna area?

to be honest no I dont know any one in that area but may be someone on the site does, if you want to take a ride down this way I can recommend a few, of course starting with my self then john at offshore or slim at SKS in Baltimore area....but then Im Bisist

there are alot of honest techs out there, the best recomendation I can make is dont take it anywhere that wont let you talk to the tech that will be working on it then feel him out if your not comfertable walk away ......

its not a car and everyone thinks they can do anything just because they have certs..... a lot of mechs take the test then never touch much more then a alpha gen 2 but because they past the test for bravo the shop takes the job

yes I can read how to rebuild an automatic transmission and with 60k in tools I prob have the tools but would never do it, but a lot of guys would for the almighty dollar

my customers will tell you.... i will not work on out board pwr heads, inboard transmissions ect, Because I belive in specialize in what you do and be one of the best...the names above are just that

Last edited by GOODT; 05-29-2006 at 08:04 PM.