Winter Project >

Winter Project

Notices

Winter Project

Old 12-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winter Project

Hello and Happy Holidays to all on OSO.I have started my winter project this weekend and have a few question for you guys.Let me bring you up to speed.During this past summer I traded my 22' Nordic Sprint in on a 32' Fountain Fever with twin 502s.The previous owner is a member of OSO and turned me on to the site when I purchased the boat from him.I have since been sitting back and learning from all your questions and answers.I am a construction project manager and have never done and major work on boats before except maintenance issues.The previous owner did a major upgrade to the look of the boat and now I want to do the mechanicals.So here are my questions so far,two days into this hole I'm digging.

1) the port engine did not have a belt on the power steering pump and I was told It is just a reservoir for the starboard pump.Now with engines out I see the hoses are just looped thru the cooler and back to itself.Is this common?And if so can I just remove the pump and hoses to clean up the engine compartment?

2) I'm trying to remove the transoms from the boat to rebuild them.I have removed all bolts and the inner plate has come off but the transom feels like it is glued in place.How do I remove it without breaking anything?It has never been off before and I dont know how the factory sealed them.

3)There is a complete hydraulic steering system and some times when I'm docking the steering becomes hard and then frees up.What would cause this,could it be a clogged filter?

4) Top hose of sea water pump is the suction or pressure side?I have one generation 4 and one gen. 5 motor in this boat.One pump was plumbed one way and the other the opposite.I would think they should be the same,and how could this even be working if it is backwards?

Thanks in advance for any help and I'll try posting some pictures so you can see my mess.I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions in the weeks to follow.

Thanks Anthony R. AKA Nordic95

P.S. I think its time to change my calling name.Any suggestions?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Winter Project

1) the steering pump does absolutely nothing it there because its cheaper for merc to to buy the motors with them on and yes its very common

2)some people will use 4200 or 5200 when they install the transom assy
you can try a heat gun that usually will work just be careful because if its 5200 it can take the gel-coat with it

3) as for the steering try bleeding turn the wheel to one side all the way and hold it there about 30 sec then to the other side and do the same may have to repeat.. if that doesn't do it then there are other problems

4)the pumps are plumbed that way because one mtr is counter-rotating
Attached Thumbnails Winter Project-logo1111.jpg  
Old 12-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GOODT
1) the steering pump does absolutely nothing it there because its cheaper for merc to to buy the motors with them on and yes its very common

2)some people will use 4200 or 5200 when they install the transom assy
you can try a heat gun that usually will work just be careful because if its 5200 it can take the gel-coat with it

3) as for the steering try bleeding turn the wheel to one side all the way and hold it there about 30 sec then to the other side and do the same may have to repeat.. if that doesn't do it then there are other problems

4)the pumps are plumbed that way because one mtr is counter-rotating

I thought the 502s were not counter rotating?I never really noticed when they were running.So I can remove the power steering pump and hoses?I guess I'll just plug the oil cooler where these hoses were attached.The steering worked fine while cruising,just got tight while docking,but just for an instant.The transom has never been off since new.I tried hitting bolts from inside boat but it seems to be installed with some kind of sealer,I just didn't want to break something.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5200 is an adhesive sealer same with 4200 just not as strong.

normally with bravos they are not counter but if the pump is hooked up that way it must be.

the cooler you dont need to plug just disconect

Last edited by GOODT; 12-18-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GOODT
5200 is an adhesive sealer same with 4200 just not as strong.

normally with bravos they are not counter but if the pump is hooked up that way it must be.

the cooler you dont need to plug just disconect

So if the motor was a standard rotation would the suction be top or bottom hose on pump?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What yr is your boat?

Fountains with twins use both PS pumps tied together with a proprietory valve (sp), so you have PS even if 1 motor is off. Might double check that motor rotation just to be sure that the 1 pump is not hooked up backwards. No over heating problems? Look under your dash at the shifter linkage. Are both cables on either the top or the bottom of the throw? Normally 1 is on top, 1 is on bottom.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

standard rotation----- bottom hose is suction, should also be hard walled hose.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
What yr is your boat?

Fountains with twins use both PS pumps tied together with a proprietory valve (sp), so you have PS even if 1 motor is off. Might double check that motor rotation just to be sure that the 1 pump is not hooked up backwards. No over heating problems? Look under your dash at the shifter linkage. Are both cables on either the top or the bottom of the throw? Normally 1 is on top, 1 is on bottom.

1991 fever.Power steering pump is not hooked up,it just loops thru cooler and back to pump.I'm trying to upload pictures but I'm better with a hammer then a computer.I thought only one pump was hooked up because when starboard engine is off I have no steering.Can I hook it up with the propietory valve set up?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Yes, you can hook it up. Just need the right parts. Do you have a separate PS fluid resorvior, or just the pump reservoir?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Yes, you can hook it up. Just need the right parts. Do you have a separate PS fluid resorvior, or just the pump reservoir?

Just the pump resorvoir.

Quick Reply: Winter Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.