Winterizing Question

Notices

Winterizing Question

Old 10-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Winterizing Question

Some of the better RV antifreeze have rust inhibitors. Sounds like a good idea to me...but heck, raw water is in the block the majority of the year, so...

The reason I still use antifreeze is in case I did not get ALL the water to drain, the antifreeze will mix with the residual water. I just feel safer doing this.

I stick a wire through the holes to make sure sediment is not bloking water from draining. Once I removed a plug and no water came out...until I poked around wire the wire. True story!

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Just pull the 4 plugs and a couple hoses and skip the antifreeze all together. The only engines I have ever seen crack are ones people try to fill with antifreeze and doesn't mix in well. If you drain it there is nothing to freeze. I don't know why people are so reluctant to do this, it takes less than 5 min and is 100% effective in fresh water boats. Salt you better flush very well first with some surfactant as well.