Theory ... water flow >

Theory ... water flow

Notices

Theory ... water flow

Old 01-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Theory ... water flow

There are only 2 ways to plumb a cooling system with a crossover. (1) use a crossover with a bypass hose going to the thermostat housing. The hose is 3/4 to 1" dia and allows water to go to the exhaust manifolds while the thermostat is closed. (2) Use a crossover without a bypass and do not use a thermostat. Without a bypass, when the thermostat closes, all water to the exhaust manifolds is cut off leading to too high water pressure in the engine and possible fire from too hot exhaust manifolds.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
I agree. I don't run stats in my Formula. It has bypasses.

As a matter of fact, I'm in a chitstorm argument on another board where a guy says that it won't cool without a thermostat, which is totally against the principals of physices.

http://forums.boatfreaks.org/showthr...?t=6120&page=8

See if this info is helpful at all.
http://www.perfprotech.com/home/tech...oling-tips.htm
Cuda
There is Some truth to that. The theory says you need to slow (regulate) the flow of water so you have some heat transferred to the coolant. You don’t need a t-stat, a restriction will do the same thing. Negative affect will be a build up of pressure.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Registered

Some of this theory must be about water pressure. Without any water pressure, steam pockets will form more easily. Of course, where there is a steam pocket, there is no transfer of heat. Having a restriction in the thermostat housing raises the pressure in the block, preventing the formation of steam pockets. As far as slowing the water down to remove more heat, that goes against all of the laws of physics. If all the water is in contact with the hot metal inside the block, cooler water will remove more heat than warmer water. Period.

Last edited by PatriYacht; 01-09-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

From what I understand it is better to run a stat then not. For the reasons above and cold water will flow through the block like a river while the hotter water stays closer to the metal. You will not get a even cooling which will cause hot spots in the block. There is a lot of little passages that the water needs to push through and it will not happen with out a little back pressure. Also running cold water though the block constantly will no allow the motor to achieve a good operating temp. If its still getting hot (to full operating temp) with no thermostat then you have more issues then just a thermostat.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Some of this theory must be about water pressure. Without any water pressure, steam pockets will form more easily. Of course, where there is a steam pocket, there is no transfer of heat. Having a restriction in the thermostat housing raises the pressure in the block, preventing the formation of steam pockets. As far as slowing the water down to remove more heat, that goes against all of the laws of phisics. If all the water is in contact with the hot metal inside the block, cooler water will remove more heat than warmer water. Period.
Yep, it's all about pressure and hot spots, vapor pockets. The whole water moving through the engine too fast was a bunch of backyard mechanics making up an explaination for something they knew to be true but didn't understand.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude junk the stat.

i have installed over 200 high horsepower bigf blocks, none of which had stats. these engines where built by such greats as Richie Zul, Sonny Leonard, Sterling, J.C Performance, M.E.R Performance.

additionally steam pockets will only form if there is no restriction in the water system. if you have water pressure more than likely you have restriction.
also the inlet hose is usually 1 1/4 and then you have a 1" dump out of the water neck housing as stated earlier.if there is too much pressure or your concerned of steam pockets than simply install dumps in the rear of the intake and plumb accordingly with supply pressure.

these three are from. J.C , Sonny, and M.E.R

enough with the b.s

do it already

just doi it.
Attached Thumbnails Theory ... water flow-p1010039.jpg   Theory ... water flow-e2.jpg   Theory ... water flow-lupos-fountain-022.jpg  

Old 01-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by bcarpman
Yep, it's all about pressure and hot spots, vapor pockets. The whole water moving through the engine too fast was a bunch of backyard mechanics making up an explaination for something they knew to be true but didn't understand.

Well, maybe not. Heat transfer of any kind is done when 2 molecules touch. There is no "cold transfer" just a loss of heat from one molecule to the other. Now stay with me here. If you turn on your stove burner and let it heat up, you can touch it for a very short period and not get burned(cell damage from heat transfer), why? Because enough heat didn't transfer from the burner to your skin. Now inside the engine you have water molecules pushing by some parts of the engine at a high rate of speed. If that speed is too high then there is no time for that particular spot to transfer heat to the water molecules and it will run hotter in that spot. As you slow down the flow less and less spots experience this phenomenon and the engine will run cooler. This will not show up on every engine but on some that are marginal on cooling , some restriction to flow velocity is necessary to maintain proper cooling.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

molecule,, shmolecule

hey Ted

just do it,,,,,,

do it,,,,,,,,,,
Old 01-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by insptech
Well, maybe not. Heat transfer of any kind is done when 2 molecules touch. .........some restriction to flow velocity is necessary to maintain proper cooling.
Nope sorry, please go back to your old thermodynamics and fluids text books. You're analogy doesn't hold water. (ha ha)

Last edited by bcarpman; 01-08-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Registered

Arizona Speed and Marine has 120 degree thermostats. That's what I'm running. Drill 3 1/8 holes in it and my water temps are steady as a rock. I'm running crossovers with bypasses.

Quick Reply: Theory ... water flow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.