Interior Tie Bar ????? >

Interior Tie Bar ?????

Notices

Interior Tie Bar ?????

Old 05-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Interior Tie Bar ?????

I'm almost ready to close on boat with twin 454's and bravo 1 outdrives. I looked into the engine hatch and there is what appears to be an interior tie bar (don't know the correct term) right behind the engines. Its corroded all to hell and needs to be replaced. I asked one of the mechanics on site and he said it really just supports the external tie bar. I asked him if he thought it was safe like that - it was almost completely corroded through - he said yes and that I could get atleast one or two seasons out of it before I replaced it. What do you guys think. Could I wait a little while before I replaced it?

How much do you think it would cost to replace?
Old 05-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a picture...Inside and out.

Any serious "internal" corrosion on parts would suggest corrosion elsewhere. You better look that boat over really well.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its corroded its one thing, but rule of thumb to some is if there is an outer tie bar, remove the inner one. If for some reason one drive trims up and the other doesnt or vise versa, you put the inner tie bar in a bind fighting against the steering arms.

john

Last edited by Pwrbt33; 05-27-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Trippin
How about a picture...Inside and out.

Any serious "internal" corrosion on parts would suggest corrosion elsewhere. You better look that boat over really well.
Good input guys,

I will try and snap a picture off. How much corrosion is too much. I haven't closed the deal on this thing. Both engines have minor rust on the block. DDT test said only 250 hours both 454 mpi w 310 hp. There is some rust on around 10% of the engines. I was also looking at a 28 saber with a single 502 with only 60 hours and it had alot more rust. Reliable sources say its really hasn't been in much saltwater. Original owner had it in New York and another guy brought it to Dallas, which is were I am now buying it. The interior tie bar is right under neath a blower vent so I think there was just a little bit of salt water coming in there - which is not suprising - thats the only major corrosion.