Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Any Mercury Verado techs out there?? >

Any Mercury Verado techs out there??

Notices

Any Mercury Verado techs out there??

Old 07-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Mercury Verado techs out there??

Has anyone heard of reflashing the ecm's on the verado's?? My 275's have the "al" flashing on both smartcraft tachs and I can't get them to reset. I have a Mercury Verado tech coming tomorrow to reflash the ecu's. My starboard engine also has a bunch of urelated codes stored every time they scan it. One of the codes is 194 ECT time out @ 4730 rpm. When this occurs the guage says "reduce throttle", I can run at 4000 rpm all day w/ no problem. It also has a low oil pressure code @ 386 rpm and the engine doesn't run that low. It must be picking it up at start up. Anyone out there have any input it would be appreciated. The dealer and Mercury told me it is not uncommon to have to reflash the Verado's. Sounds a little fishy to me.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reflash is needed. I have done quite a few in the past 6 months. This will raise all the perameters to a safe but higher level so the gaurdian doesnt come on to early. It sounds like a lot of your codes are battery voltage related. That battery has to have 12 volts in it to start efficiently and run until a charge can be put back in it. Do you plug your boat into shorepower? If not you might want to consider it. Also, when starting, turn key on and wait until you hear the fuel pumps kick off before starting. this helps. Also tell the tech or you can, make sure the battery leed at the altinater is tight. Have seen many loosen over time, this will cause running issues also. Lately we have seen quite a few float switches in the fsm and lift pump problems. Might be the new fuel. E10. Not really sure yet. Good luck.

John

Make sure the tech has done this before, somethings can go wrong if he's never done one yet.

As far as your codes, check the oil level and see if the temp and sea pump pressures are good. Sounds like its running to warm.

Last edited by Pwrbt33; 07-23-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Registered

Water pressure and temp all look great when this occurs. That was the first thing I thought it was. I watch the gauges all the time. When the reduce throttle comes on it says check engine and thats it. The mercury tech scanned it and found no temp related codes. Can the sea pump pressure be tested at idle? The only code other than the oil pressure @386rpm was code 194 etc time out at 4730 rpm. The port motor had two codes, abusive overspeed stage 1 and abusive overspeed in neutral (i think)???? The boat never went over 4730rpm that day because the reduce throttle came on. The codes make no sense what so ever.

Last edited by NOMOGOFAST; 07-23-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Best thing I can say without it being in front of me is do the reflash and make sure the batteries are fully charged. Also, make sure there 1000 MCA cranking batteries and not deep cycles. Also make sure you have nuts and washers on the post, NOT WING NUTS! After the reflash try it again and see if anything comes back. I use to have a 275 do this on a Donzi, I reflashed it and the reduce throttle went away.

Keep us posted.

John
Old 07-23-2007, 05:59 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by NOMOGOFAST
You sure your not reading that on the cooler lid of the coronas. "abusive overspeed".
We know how you drink.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Registered

John,

Will check the batteries in the am. The batteries are the blue top optimas.

Thanks John

Docman,

Did someone say "drinks"
Old 07-23-2007, 07:36 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by NOMOGOFAST
John,

Will check the batteries in the am. The batteries are the blue top optimas.

Thanks John

Docman,

Did someone say "drinks"
Not me,beenon the wagon for atleast 20 hrs.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Also you should never run the batteries in the all position. You want to keep the motors seperated. Only in a jam do you want to run them in the all position.

John
Old 07-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered

I have two blue top starting batteries w/ two switches. Should I keep both switches on 1 and switch both to 2 for the stereo etc. Then the next time out do the opposite??