Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
another "thinking about pro-charging" thread >

another "thinking about pro-charging" thread

Notices

another "thinking about pro-charging" thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The exhaust is restrictive already. If your trying to cram more fuel in where do you think it's going to go? Headers should be the first thing you do.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking that as well - -although it seems many people are running stock thru hull exhaust with no problems.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CHAOS REIGNS
i was thinking that as well - -although it seems many people are running stock thru hull exhaust with no problems.
Not for long....
Old 08-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend with an m-3 on a highly modified 454 and silent choice. 50RPM change W/WO by-pass. So try it as is. Install the procharger with a 3PSI pulley and you will get modest gains and probably not run into any gasket issues, ecu change needs; but you will need to change fuel delivery. As for the bravo, I blew my 1998 III with 560HP. I now run a stock 2006 III with no issues. If you are concerned call Mr. Gadget in Mi. and he will modify your drive. Just try it @ 3PSI and I don't think you will have any trouble. The problems start to develop when you go to, or beyond, 5PSI. It is so easy to change a pulley to get another 75-100HP and that is where the mods start becoming necessary.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyo
The exhaust is restrictive already. If your trying to cram more fuel in where do you think it's going to go? Headers should be the first thing you do.
I really do wonder how much more restrictive the stock merc manifolds are when exiting straight out the transome. My engine does seem to breath fairly well. I'm only making 7lbs @ 5200RPM(9lb pulley). Kindda wondering about my pistons now. They were supposed to be 8:1....maybe my head chambers were smaller than he suspected. I did a compression check today just for the heck of it and shes pumpin around 155PSI which should be more like 9:1. Will a MSC1 with a 9lb pulley pump enough air at starter speeds to effect the compression readings? I am also curious how many hours you guys would put on an engine before switching over to synthetic?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pachanga
I really do wonder how much more restrictive the stock merc manifolds are when exiting straight out the transome. My engine does seem to breath fairly well. I'm only making 7lbs @ 5200RPM(9lb pulley). Kindda wondering about my pistons now. They were supposed to be 8:1....maybe my head chambers were smaller than he suspected. I did a compression check today just for the heck of it and shes pumpin around 155PSI which should be more like 9:1. Will a MSC1 with a 9lb pulley pump enough air at starter speeds to effect the compression readings? I am also curious how many hours you guys would put on an engine before switching over to synthetic?
A procharger won't affect your cranking pressure. It only boost at higher rpm's ,like a turbocharger except it uses a pulley instead of exhaust.
exhaust may not make that much difference. I'm not an expert but that is usually the first place you upgrade.

P.S. Take everything Procharger says with a grain of salt. I can't even imagine how many engines they're responsible for blowing up.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyo
A procharger won't affect your cranking pressure. It only boost at higher rpm's ,like a turbocharger except it uses a pulley instead of exhaust.
exhaust may not make that much difference. I'm not an expert but that is usually the first place you upgrade.

P.S. Take everything Procharger says with a grain of salt. I can't even imagine how many engines they're responsible for blowing up.
I know what you mean about blowing engines. I have talked with quite a few people. I burp(detonation) under load and your likely to loose it all. But from what I understand this is true of all blown applications. I know my setup will run better if I lean it out abit but not sure if I want to. Yeah...foul a few plugs...mainly when I have to run too slow or idle awhile. I'm running 80 somins in the primaries and 102's in the secondaries.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:41 AM
Registered

It's SO importnat to find an experienced installer. Talk to his cutomers about his work in referance to what you want to do. See how many hours they have, what troubles they had, how the installer treated them and was the boat kept clean thoughout the install etc.....

A dyno tuned procharged engine from an experienced installer/builder, from what I have read is the best way to go if you want a procharger.

If you are installing your self, well, that just scares the crap ot me. But thats just me :-)
Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

I ran stock manifolds with a stock cam in my 502 for the first 1 1/2 years it had a blower on it, I switched to lightning headers and saw NO top end difference but it felt slightly stronger in the midrange. If your sticking with the stock cam I would use the extra money headers will cost you to buy other parts you might end up needing,like props,especially a lab finished one. Now once you start going further with your mods,bigger cam,head porting,etc,you will definately need a higher flowing exhaust,Smitty

ps-if your putting a supercharger on with a strict budget,triple what you think its going to cost and you will be close. Guys look at blower kits for 4000-6000$ then they figure 1500$ for exhaust valves,head gaskets,ecu reprograming and small things. That just gets them started. They get the boat running and quickly realize other defieciencys,a drive blows up,engine breaks,several props are needed,full hydraulic steering is very often a necessity,after blowing up a motor you end up with a bigger cam,then the headers are needed,that intial 7500$ can turn into 20,000$ so fast you don't know what happened. Then one of 2 things happens,you stay committed and pour money into your boat so it doesn't end up just sitting and its a complete,safe,reliable package or if its beyond what your willing to spend or can spend the blower ends up for sale and boat gets pieced back to stock. I have been thru this myself and know of countless others too,Smitty
Old 08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I respect Smitty and all of his experience, but believe me in this application if I had stayed stock @ 3 PSI (maybe even 5) I would have an extra 100HP in a stock engine (running today). I went 6PSI Merlin heads bigger cam, roller rockers, the wrong pistons, exhaust but stock injectors with 3 re-programs. I also blew the drive. The second time around, I put in blower pistons up-graded the injectors all the rest of the goodies and a Dustin Whipple in-the-boat-tune. Runs great now!! Hopefully in the future as well. Tyler Crocket has taken many customers down this road properly and he will tune in your boat.

Quick Reply: another "thinking about pro-charging" thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.