another "thinking about pro-charging" thread

Notices

another "thinking about pro-charging" thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another "thinking about pro-charging" thread

got a 502magmpi with 200 hours

i really like the idea of the m-1sc procharger.

what are some gotcha's?

do i need to change out the exhaust first? (new stock exhaust is on)

is this a self install kit?? (i'm fairly handy with tools)

i see it does NOT require ECM re-programming - i'm not sure i understand why not?

i don't hammer the throttle --so i build up my speed some what slowly - with 200 hours on my 502 -how many hours should i expect it to last? (all things being equal)

the website claims i may see an increase in gas mileage -- is that really true?

thoughts?

what about props? i'm currently spinning a 4 blade 24p and hitting about 5200 max rpm's

Mark

Last edited by CHAOS REIGNS; 08-01-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:08 PM
Registered

what model is it? i'm mainly interested in the SC
Old 07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an m-1 installed on a built up 7.4. Makes lots of power. I would take the exhaust through the transom. I started with stock headers (through hull) and then went to gill. Your internals are good with the stock 502. If you don't modify anything else (including cam) then you can get by with out an ECU change. Talk to C.P. about their ecu up grades for procharger. You should expect at least 4" on the prop. SC is a good choice but the M-1 is ok too. Don't go beyond 5PSI unless you plan on up grading your pistons. You may blow a head gasket or intake so replacing ahead of install is good if you have the option. Get the biggest intercooler. Make sure if you buy used that the system is for your block, brackets ect,
Old 07-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I was thinking about doing my 502 mag and a VERY knowledgeable person said the best way is to install bigger injectors and have the ECM reprogrammed. You would also need bigger fuel pump and fuel lines. A lot less tuning headaches than just cranking up the fuel pressure.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Registered

Have running buddy with 2 - 454's mpi's with m1 procharger. This weekend he told me he has almost 300hrs with prochargers on these motors. Both motors are still in good condition and going strong. He would do the same again with out question. I am not sure but I do not think the computer was reprogrammed or injectors changed out.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blew my first hopped up engine because I did not increase the injectors (stock 7.4 MPI 24#s very bad) and had three changes to the ecu. Your 502 injectors are 42#s which is what I went to with the second hop-up. Dustin Whipple did my "in the boat" ecu re- program and the 42's have a conservative duty cycle with 52#s @ WOT. A solid A/F of 12 throughout. Mag internals with Merlin heads. I would go with the procharger recommendations including replacing the fuel pump with an aeromotive 1000 and insert an external two stage regulator. You should be fine. Keep the revs well away from the rev limiter set point as it cuts fuel (very dangerous).
Old 08-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Registered

thanks for the info guy's. I plan on keeping the boost low -- i'm really just looking to gain about 6 or 7mph. Just get me up into the mid 70's with some realiable power.

my exhaust is thru hull -- with silent choice -- however it is the stock exhaust.

I like the m-1sc because it looks like a very clean install and not very intrusive -- if i wanted to take it off later.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered

oh i meant to ask -- will my bravo 1 hold up to 550'ish hp? keep in mind -- i take it easy on the hole shot.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do a search on all the P/C threads. You will find all kinds of useful info. Definitely do the fuel system and ecm upgrade or don't do it at all. Keep the boost under 5psi on the stock manifolds. Also replace the head gaskets before you install it. Head studs are recommended. They are badass but it ain't cheap.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyo
Do a search on all the P/C threads. You will find all kinds of useful info. Definitely do the fuel system and ecm upgrade or don't do it at all. Keep the boost under 5psi on the stock manifolds. Also replace the head gaskets before you install it. Head studs are recommended. They are badass but it ain't cheap.
I am curious about the stock manifolds. I talked with a guy(used to lease my truck to him) that ran a roots type blower on the same set up I have except I have a procharger. He said any money spent on upgrading the exhaust was a waste of time and money. Believe me when I say if he thought it would help it would have been done. He did alot of experimenting and money was no object! I can see where if you were cammed up where reversion was an issue....but what other advantages and disadvantages are there?

Quick Reply: another "thinking about pro-charging" thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.